Score: Indiana State 3 - Oral Roberts 2 (12)
Records: ISU (3-0) - ORU (0-2)
Location: Hogan Field – Little Rock, Ark.
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The Oral Roberts baseball team dropped its second game in as many days Saturday afternoon in Little Rock as Indiana State picked up a 3-2 walk-off victory in 12 innings at Hogan Field.
The Sycamores' Dane Tofteland picked up a two-out triple in the final inning, followed by a single from Kaden Moore through the right side to secure the victory.
Indiana State would answer in the bottom half of the inning with a run to cut the margin to 2-1. ISU would add onto its rally in the ninth, but solid defense by the Golden Eagles would keep the game tied at two headed to extras.
A heads up play on a bunt attempt in the ninth by Brent Williams eliminated a runner headed to third base with no outs. Left fielder Michael Hungate would later save the game-winning run in the ninth as he threw out a runner at the plate.
Redshirt Senior Nick Wood would get the nod for the start. The right-hander gave up just three hits in five innings of work, striking out two on the day.
Four other Golden Eagles made their program debuts on the mound Saturday. Lefty Taylor Varnell went a scoreless inning in the sixth, followed by Logan Michaels who did not allow a hit or walk in an inning of work. Fort Smith, Arkansas native Billy Lovvorn went two-thirds of an inning, giving up a hit and a run.
Junior Brady Womacks picked up the loss in relief. The Pevely, Missouri native went two strong innings, but gave up the eventual game-winner in the ninth.
Inside the Box Score
- Both teams 0-for-16 with runners in scoring position through six innings.
- Wood retired six straight to start the game. A double in the third broke the streak.
- Matt Whatley led the team with three hits on the day. Transfer Brent Williams was the only other Golden Eagles to have multiple hits.
- Indiana State catcher, Kaden Moore finished the day 3-for-6 with a double and RBI.
- Roark took a 1-0m pitch deep to center field for his second homer in as many games to give Oral Roberts its first lead of the game.
- In the very next at bat in the eighth, Whatley drove his first home run of the season out through center field.
- Andy Young drew a two-out walk and later scored on a double by Jeff Zahn.
- With the bases loaded in the ninth, Hunter Owen singled to left field to score the game-tying run from third.
- After a triple by Dane Tofteland, ISU catcher Kaden Moore singled home the game-winning run with a base hit through the right side in the bottom of the twelfth.
The Golden Eagles will open their home slate Tuesday at 3 p.m. when they play host to Wichita State.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.