Score: Blue 2 - Gold 0
Records: Blue (1-0), Gold (0-1)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts University baseball team kicked off its annual Blue-Gold Fall World Series with the Blue team taking an early series lead following a 2-0 victory over Gold on Thursday at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
The Blue team got on the board first in the top of the third. Dean Wilson started the inning with a single up the middle, scoring on a bases loaded double play off the bat of Rolando Martinez. Matt Brandy scored the second run of the inning on a dropped pop fly at first to make it 2-0.
In the bottom of the fourth, Gold threatened to get on the board as Anthony Sequiera ripped a one-out double down the right field line. However, Guillermo Trujillo struck out the next two to end the inning.
Gold had one last chance in the bottom of the seventh with runners on the corners, but Cadon Owens made a diving catch in right field to end the game.
Dean Wilson led off the top of the third with a single and eventually scored to give the Blue team a 1-0 lead.
Inside the Box Score
- Guillermo Trujillo looked good in the start for Blue, allowing one hit in four innings, striking out five for the victory.
- Kurt Giller struck out four in four innings of work, allowing two runs, one of which was unearned.
- Dean Wilson recorded two hits, stole a base and scored one run to lead Blue at the plate.
- Cadon Owens hit a triple in the second inning for Blue, and walked in the sixth.
- Anthony Sequeira led Gold at the plate with two hits, including a double.
News and Notes
- Blue leads the Fall World Series, 1-0.
Blue looks to clinch the ORU fall classic on Friday as the Blue-Gold World Series continues at 4 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium.