Score: Oral Roberts 5 – Omaha 3
Records: ORU (30-13, 16-5 SL) – UNO (17-24, 10-12 SL)
Location: Boy's Town – Omaha, Neb.
OMAHA, Neb. – After giving up the lead in the bottom of the sixth, the Oral Roberts baseball team rallied to score three runs in the top of the seventh take game one of the three game series against Omaha 5-3 Friday afternoon in Omaha, Nebraska.
With the victory, ORU moved to 30-13 on the season, the 16th time in the last 17 years in which ORU has won at least 30 games.
ORU got a pair of hits from Logan Domenico and Chase Stafford, while Anthony Sequeira had two of ORU's five RBIs. Sequeira also picked up the save on the mound, pitching the final 1.1 innings. Guillermo Trujillo (7-3) earned the win after pitching six innings and giving up all three Omaha runs.
Ryan Cate and Isaac Holt each had two hits for Omaha, with Daniel Jewett tallying two RBIs. Tyler Fox (4-4) took the loss giving up four of the five ORU runs in 6.2 innings on the mound.
After falling behind after six innings, Stafford reached on a bunt single to start a 3-run rally in the seventh inning to take a 5-3 lead in the top of the seventh.
Oral Roberts: Domenico and Stafford each had two hits, while Sequeira had a pair of RBIs and struck out two in his seventh save of the season.
Omaha: Cate and Holt each had two hits for the Mavericks.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU loaded the bases with one out in the third, but scored just one run in the inning, leaving them loaded in the inning.
- Sequeira earned his seventh save of the season, one away from entering the top 10 in the ORU single season record books.
- ORU was out-hit 10-9, just the third time in the last 11 games in which ORU has been out-hit.
- ORU reached 30 wins for the second year in a row and the 16th time in the last 17 years.
- Rolando Martinez singled in the final run of the game to extend his current on-base streak to 14 games.
- Audie Afenir led the second inning off with a double, and Domenico brought him home two batters later on a sacrifice fly to put ORU up 1-0.
- ORU used two walks and a pair of errors to plate a run in the top of the third to grab a 2-0 advantage.
- Collin Leif started a two-out rally in the fifth for the Mavericks, getting a two out single before stealing second base. Leif scored to make it 2-1 on an Alex Schultz single.
- In the sixth, Omaha took a 3-2 lead on a double to left center by Jewett, scoring Justin Threlkeld and Cate.
- Stafford started the seventh with a bunt single and stole second to get into scoring position. Matt Brandy brought him home with a two-out double to tie the game 3-3.
- Sequeira got a two-out RBI with a roller up the middle to score Brandy to give ORU the lead, and Martinez followed suit with a shot to the outfield to score Sequeira to give ORU a 5-3 advantage.
Games two and three of the series will begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.