Score: Oral Roberts 10 – Western Illinois 0
Records: ORU (23-10, 12-2 SL) – WIU (9-19, 5-9 SL)
Location: Alfred D. Boyer Stadium – Macomb, Ill.
MACOMB, Ill. – The Oral Roberts baseball team put together another dominant performance Saturday, giving up just three hits in a 10-0, run rule victory over Western Illinois. It is the second straight run rule victory for the Golden Eagles, clinching another series victory as well.
Bryce Howe (2-1) got the start on the mound and posted his longest outing of the season in the win, going six innings, giving up just three hits and striking out four. Colin Hightower closed things out in the seventh, getting a double play and a strikeout to clinch the seven inning victory.
Tom Constand (2-5) took the loss for Western Illinois giving up six runs on five hits and seven walks in 3.2 innings.
ORU opened up a 4-0 lead in the fourth inning, using a passed ball, three walks and a two RBI single from Cummings.
Oral Roberts: James had two hits, both doubles, and had three RBIs. Wilson had a 4-4 day at the plate, scoring twice. Howe had four strikeouts on the mound, his second highest total in a game this season.
Western Illinois: Mark Garton had two of the three hits for the Leathernecks.
Inside the Box Score
- James' streak of eight straight base hits came to an end in the third inning, but it ended with a sacrifice fly to score the game's opening run.
- In his first league start, Howe went six innings to get the victory on the mound, giving up just three hits.
- Wilson was 4-4 at the plate, the first four hit game of his career.
- Cummings hit a solo homerun in the seventh inning, his first long-ball since February 14 against Memphis.
- ORU had three extra base hits in the game, including a double (James), triple (Whatley) and home run (Cummings).
- ORU was able to take advantage of miscues by the Leathernecks in the top of the third. After a leadoff single from Wilson, he used a passed ball to move into scoring position. ORU scored the first run of the game on a combination of a sacrifice bunt and a sacrifice bunt from James.
- Three straight walks loaded the bases and score another run as Chase Stafford came around to score to make it 2-0.
- The Golden Eagles made it a 4-0 game on a two out, two RBI single from Cummings to score Anthony Sequeira and Matt Brandy.
- The fourth inning had a similar start to it as Wilson and Stafford getting on and moving to second and third with a sacrifice bunt. A passed ball scored Wilson, and an RBI double from James scored Stafford to make it 6-0.
- Matt Whatley put ORU up 7-0 in the sixth on an RBI triple to right center, and came around to score on a ground ball to give the Golden Eagles up 8-0.
- Cummings led off the seventh inning with a home run down the left field line, and Nick Roark followed with a single over the bag at second.
- Cummings scored the decisive run, tagging from third on a fly ball from Whatley to put the run rule within reach. Hightower shut down the Leathernecks in the bottom half to clinch the seven inning win.
ORU will try to sweep the three game series from the Leathernecks with game three beginning at noon Sunday.