Score: Oral Roberts 9 – South Dakota State 2
Records: ORU (20-10, 10-2 SL) – SDSU (15-13, 6-6 SL)
Location: Erv Huether Field – Brookings, S.D.
BROOKINGS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts baseball team rebounded with a decisive 9-2 win over South Dakota State to take the Summit League series Sunday afternoon at Erv Huether Field.
After having their nine-game winning streak snapped on Saturday, the Golden Eagles responded with nine runs on 17 hits – the second most this season for ORU. The pitching staff for ORU held down the Jackrabbits after allowing 15 hits a day earlier.
Jacob McDavid earned his second win of the season to improve to 2-1 as he went 3.2 innings of relief. He scattered four hits while allowing no runs and striking out one.
South Dakota State got their only offense from the bottom of the lineup as Al Robbins hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth. Ryan Froom went seven innings and allowed 11 of the 17 hits for ORU and was charged with just three runs.
The Golden Eagles jumped out to an early lead scoring in the top of the first inning when Matt Whatley scored on an Anthony Sequeira sacrifice fly. ORU starting pitcher Kurt Giller set the tone going four innings and allowing just three hits and no walks while striking out two. The bullpen allowed just the two-run homer in the ninth and six hits over the final five innings.
Oral Roberts: Matt Brandy went 4-for-5 with two runs scored in the win. Derrian James hit his second home run of the weekend and was 3-for-5 with four RBI and two runs scored.
SDSU: Al Robbins hit a ninth inning home run for the only runs for the Jackrabbits and went 2-for-4 with two RBI.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU finished with 17 hits for its second highest total of the year. The Golden Eagles recorded 19 hits in the series finale against Omaha.
- Matt Brandy easily added to his hitting streak with four hits as he extended the streak to eight games. Brandy has also reached base safely in 20 straight games – second longest streak behind Chase Stafford's current streak of 21.
- ORU finished with double digit hits in all three games against South Dakota State and in 10 of their last 13 games.
- Matt Whatley scored the first run of the game for the second straight day as ORU manufactured a 1-0 in the top of the first inning. Anthony Sequeira lifted a sacrifice fly to right field as Whatley beat the throw giving ORU the early lead.
- ORU added a second run in the top of the fourth inning when Derrian James scored on a wild pitch to put the Golden Eagles up 2-0.
- The Golden Eagles doubled their lead in the top of the seventh inning when James belted a two RBI single into the gap in right. Sequeira and Brandy both scored after reaching on one out singles.
- Sequeira picked up his second RBI of the game in the top of the ninth on a ground out to the right side. Emmanuel Forcier scored after pinch running for Martinez who started the inning with a single.
- One batter later, Audie Afenir reached on a fielding error and scored Brandy to make it 6-0, Golden Eagles.
- James hit his second home run of the series as he plated Afenir to give ORU an 8-0 advantage.
- Nick ended the Golden Eagles scoring with a single to right that scored Cummings who had reached on a single after the James home run.
- The Jackrabbits finally got on the board in the top of the ninth inning on an Al Robbins home run to make the final score, 9-2.
Golden Eagles return home to host No. 19 Texas Tech at J. L. Johnson Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.