Score: Oral Roberts 5 – South Dakota State 3
Records: ORU (19-9, 9-1 SL) – SDSU (14-12, 5-5 SL)
Location: Erv Huether Field – Brookings, S.D.
BROOKINGS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts bullpen combined to allow just two hits in four innings to help the Golden Eagles win their ninth straight Friday with a 5-3 victory over South Dakota State.
The Golden Eagles won their ninth straight overall and eight consecutive Summit League game Friday after falling behind early in the first inning. However, a combined offensive and defensive effort saw ORU finish with 10 hits, while the pitching staff struck out six and walked just two as the Golden Eagles rallied and held off the Jackrabbits.
Audie Afenir and Dean Wilson each had a pair of hits for ORU, as Wilson and three other Golden Eagles picked up a RBI. Anthony Sequeira stayed hot at the plate with a hit and a run scored while also earning the save, his third of the season.
Guillermo Trujillo threw five innings to win his fifth game of the season and improve to 5-2. Trujillo allowed just three hits and three runs – all coming in the first inning – while striking out three and walking one.
Adam Bray was tabbed with the loss to fall to 3-3 after allowing all five ORU runs with four being earned. Luke Ringhofer had the only extra base hit for the Jackrabbits with his RBI double in the bottom of the first.
Anthony Sequeira singled to lead-off the second inning while Afenir and Derrian James followed with singles to load the bases for ORU. Matt Whatley beat out a potential double play to tie the game before Wilson scored on a wild pitch to give the Golden Eagles the lead.
Oral Roberts: Afenir finished 2-for-5 with a run scored while Dean Wilson went 2-for-4 with a run and a RBI.
SDSU: Luke Ringhofer had a RBI double and scored a run.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU has finished with double digit hits in seven of their 10 Summit League games.
- The four errors for ORU were the most this season.
- Afenir extended his on base streak to 18 straight games with two hits.
- The Golden Eagles again used four pitchers with all three relievers holding SDSU scoreless on just two hits over the final four innings.
- SDSU got on the board first in the bottom of the first inning after a RBI double from Ringhofer started the scoring.
- Clary and Kjolsing got back-to-back two out hits to give SDSU a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
- Wilson singled in the gap to left center to put ORU on the board in the top of the second inning with just one out. Chase Stafford walked with the bases loaded before Whatley beat out a potential double play to tie the game.
- ORU took the lead in the top of the second on a wild pitch as Wilson came home to give the Golden Eagles a one-run lead.
- Nick Roark doubled home James in the top of the third for an insurance run for ORU after James reached on an error.
ORU looks for its 10th straight win Saturday in the second game of the series at South Dakota State. First pitch in Brookings, S.D. in scheduled for 1 p.m.