Score: ORU 2 – Dallas Baptist 4
Records: ORU (6-7), DBU (10-2)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Junior pitcher Xavier Altamirano took a no-hitter into the eighth inning, but the Oral Roberts University baseball team was unable to hold on as No. 23 Dallas Baptist completed the series sweep with a 4-2 victory.
Altamirano didn't allow a hit until the leadoff batter in the top of the eighth inning with a 2-0 ORU lead. DBU put up a four spot on the scoreboard in the eighth inning for the 4-2 win.
With a pair of runners in scoring position, DBU cut the ORU lead to 2-1 in the top of the eighth with a ground ball to short. However, an errant throw to first allowed the tying run to score.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Audie Afenir and freshman Nick Roark each had a single and a double in the game. Afenir recorded an RBI and scored a run. Roark's double was his first career hit.
- Emmanuel Forcier reached base with an RBI single, and Chase Stafford had a single and a stolen base.
- Logan Domenico, Noah Cummings and Anthony Sequeira each had singles in the contest.
- Xavier Altamirano went seven innings, allowing just one single and striking out seven. It's the second time in as many starts Altamirano has struck out seven.
- Kyler Stout (0-1) took the loss, allowing three runs on two hits. None of Stout's runs were earned.
- Trooper Reynolds had a RBI double in the eight, and Tagg Duce picked up an RBI single for DBU.
- Gavin Fritz (1-0) finished the game for the Patriots, earning his first victory of the season in 2.2 innings of work.
- ORU jumped out to a 1-0 lead after the first inning as Matt Brandy drew a walk and eventually scored on an Audie Afenir single to left.
- In the home half of the sixth inning, Afenir crossed the plate on a single off the bat of Emmanuel Forcier.
- DBU tied the game at two in the top of the eighth inning as Justin Wall hit a ground ball to second that scored Nash Knight. However, the throw to first was wild, allowing Drew Turbin to cross the plate as the tying run.
- The Patriots gained the lead on an RBI double off the left field wall by Trooper Reynolds, scoring Wall, and Tagg Duce plated Reynolds with a single to bring the score to 4-2.
ORU looks to rebound in its first mid-week game of the season as they hit the road to face Oklahoma at 6 p.m. Tuesday. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports Oklahoma.