Score: Omaha 3 – Oral Roberts 0
Records: UNO (10-16, 7-6 SL) – ORU (14-12, 11-3 SL)
Location: Sapp Fieldhouse (Omaha, Neb.)
OMAHA, Neb. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team closed its 2017 regular season with a 3-0 loss at Omaha (23-25, 11-25, 19-25) Friday night at Sapp Fieldhouse and claimed the No. 2 seed for The Summit League Championship.
With a chance to clinch at least a share of The Summit League championship, the Golden Eagles were limited to an .093 hitting percentage, their second-lowest effort of the year. ORU got off to a good start and led the Mavericks in the opening set, 21-19, but a 6-2 run finished the set in favor of Omaha. The home side cruised in the second set with big runs and capped the night in straight sets to earn the No. 5 seed for next week's conference tournament.
Laura Milos led all players with a match-high 15 kills and three service aces, while recording six digs. Her sixth dig of the night was the 1,000th of her illustrious career as she became the 11th player in school history to reach the milestone. The Porec, Croatia, native also joins elite company as one of only 18 players in the NCAA since 2004 to tally 2,000 kills and 1,000 digs in a career and one of two from ORU to accomplish the feat with Ori Zuzic (2003-06).
Inside the Box Score
- Shelby Cox added five kills in support, with four coming in the opening set.
- Megan Doran paced the squad with three block assists.
- Libero Tori Led closed her night with a team-leading 11 digs.
- Lucija Bojanjac led the ORU setters with 14 assists, while Bria Bergman added eight for the Golden Eagles.
- ORU closed the regular season unbeaten at home in Summit League play going a perfect 7-0. It was the first time since 2006 to not lose a conference match on its home court during a single season.
The Golden Eagles will enter The Summit League Championships next week in Denver as the No. 2 seed knowing it has secured a first-round bye. ORU still has a chance to share the conference title if Denver falls Sunday at Western Illinois.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.