Score: ORU 3 – UMBC 0
Records: ORU (1-5) – UMBC (1-5)
Location: Bob Devaney Sports Complex (Lincoln, Neb.)
LINCOLN, Neb. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team capped the Ameritas Players Challenge with a 3-0 sweep of UMBC Saturday morning at the Devaney Center. Three players recorded eight or more kills to close the weekend on a winning note.
A well-timed timeout when tied 21-21 in the opening set helped the Golden Eagles settle down and score the final four points to start the day in the right direction.
Trailing early in the second set, ORU used a 6-0 run highlighted by back-to-back service aces off the hand of Laura Milos to even the set and later scored five-consecutive points before closing out the Retrievers. Milos finished the match with 14 kills to be named to the all-tournament team.
Inside the Box Score
- The Golden Eagles improved their hitting between each set after starting with a .062 hitting percentage in the opener to hit .367 in the finale.
- CeCe Madison and Lara Picht provided eight kills apiece to power ORU to the sweep.
- Lucija Bojanjac distributed a team-best 19 set assists and Bria Bergman added 15.
- Madison was a part of four of ORU's six blocks, while Milos and Katarina Mikulic each posted a solo block.
- Abbie Mirabella was the only Retriever to reach double-figure kills and Claudia Lopez tallied all 31 of UMBC's assists.
ORU is back on the road Tuesday night (Sept. 5) for a match with the Razorbacks of Arkansas at 7 p.m. Catch the action on the SEC Network Plus.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.