Score: ORU 3 – Fort Wayne 0
Records: ORU (17-14) – Fort Wayne (13-18)
Location: Hamilton Gymnasium (Denver, Colo.)
DENVER, Colo. – The No. 5 seed Oral Roberts volleyball team dominated from start to finish in a 3-0 sweep (25-11, 25-18, 25-23) of fourth-seeded Fort Wayne in the quarterfinals of The Summit League Championships Friday night at Hamilton Gymnasium on the campus of the University of Denver.
The Golden Eagles used a balanced attack getting kills from six different players, including a match-high 15 from junior Laura Milos. After picking up a season sweep of the Mastodons during the regular season, ORU did not allow the higher-seeded team to gain any momentum by hitting .500 in the opening set and held Fort Wayne to a negative hitting percentage (-.071) for the match.
Inside the Box Score
- Milos, who was named to the All-Summit League First Team last night for the third time in her career, became just the third player in NCAA Division I volleyball to reach 600 kills this season and moved into third on the single-season list with 613.
- Lucija Bojanjac effectively controlled the offense posting 29 set assists in three sets keeping the defense off balance.
- Bojanjac also led ORU with eight digs from her setter position as six other players recorded at least three digs for the night.
- Karyn Chrisman and Shelby Cox were crucial for the Golden Eagles posting six and nine kills, respectively, and hit for a high percentage as Chrisman led the team at .417 with Cox close behind at .412.
- Freshman Brianna Greenlee helped ORU own the net totaling five block assists, while Cox and Taylan Nero added four block assists.
- ORU improved to 3-0 all-time against Fort Wayne in The Summit League Championships and snapped a two-match losing streak at the tournament following first-round exits in 2014 and 2015.
- Nicole Rightnowar, a first-team all-league performer was held in check as she paced the Mastodons with just five kills, while setter Madison Jaqua was held to just 10 assists.
ORU now faces host and top-seeded Denver in The Summit League Championship Semifinals Saturday at 6 p.m. (CT). Live video and stats are available for the match courtesy of The Summit League.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.