Score: Oral Roberts 72 – Purdue Fort Wayne 61
Records: ORU (10-7) (3-1); PFW (4-12) (0-4)
Location: Gates Sports Center – Fort Wayne, Ind.
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – Maya Mayberry tied her career high with 25 points in the Oral Roberts women's basketball team's, 72-61, win Wednesday evening on the road at Purdue Fort Wayne to improve to 3-1 in Summit League play.
ORU and Purdue Fort Wayne came out in the game and exchanged buckets and ended the first quarter tied 17-17. The Mastodons shot 50 percent in the opening period and held ORU to 30 percent from the field. The Golden Eagles out-scored Purdue Fort Wayne 17-8 in the second quarter and went on a 7-0 run to close out the first half. ORU took a 34-25 lead in to the locker room. Hot shooting by ORU from the field, 58 percent, helped push the Golden Eagles to their largest lead of the game before the break. Defensively, ORU held the Mastodons to 23 percent in the second 10 minutes of play.
After the break, the Golden Eagles shot 36 percent and the Mastodons shots 60 percent in the third. Rylie Torrey led the Golden Eagles with seven points in the third and went 3-for-3 from the field. ORU turned it around in the fourth and shot 54 percent overall and Maya Mayberry scored 10 of her 25 points in the final quarter. ORU out-scored Purdue Fort Wayne 19-18 in the third and fourth quarters. A play of true teamwork happened in the third period when Jordan Gilbert recorded her only block of the game and Lakota Beatty took the ball on a fast break and passed it forward to Torrey who had the easy layup and was fouled. Torrey capitalized on the three-point play to put ORU up by 14, its largest lead of the game.
The Golden Eagles created their own momentum by having four charge attempts in the game and capitalizing on all four. Beatty and Keni Jo Lippe each took one charge while Mayberry had two. ORU finished the game going 41 percent from the field. Beatty and Torrey finished with 14 points each and Lippe had 10. The Golden Eagles had a season low five turnovers on the night. Mayberry tied her career high with 10 field-goals made in the contest. She went 10-for-17 overall and 1-for-3 from long range. Beatty and Lippe's efforts were the third consecutive game that both scored in double-digits.
Purdue Fort Wayne was led by Jaelencia Williams who had 23 points going 9-for-14 overall and grabbed 15 rebounds for a double-double. ShToya Sanders had 12 points for the Mastodons and eight boards. Overall, Purdue Fort Wayne shot 40 percent on the night and had a total of 10 blocks, the most by any team this season.
Oral Roberts: Mayberry tied her career high with 25 points. Regan Schumacher led ORU with five rebounds.
Purdue Fort Wayne: Williams had a double-double with 23 points and 15 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 41.5 percent overall in tonight's game.
- Purdue Fort Wayne out-rebounded ORU 47-28. The Golden Eagles had nine offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 36.4 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over five times, but forced the Mastodons to turn the ball over 20 times.
- ORU shot 76.9 percent from the free-throw line (10-for-13).
- Maya Mayberry scored 25 points shooting 10-for-17 overall and 1-for-3 from three-point range. Mayberry had two assists and two steals as well.
- Rylie Torrey scored 14 points with three rebounds and one steal.
- Lakota Beatty went 4-for-13 overall with 14 points along with two assists and three steals.
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded 10 points with four rebounds.
- ORU had five bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 20 points off of turnovers and 24 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles continue their road trip to Brookings, South Dakota, to take on the South Dakota State Jackrabbits Saturday, January 12 at 2 p.m. inside Frost Arena.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.