Score: Oral Roberts 71 – Omaha 56
Records: ORU (8-6) (1-0); Omaha (5-9) (0-2)
Location: Baxter Arena – Omaha, Neb.
OMAHA, Neb. – Four Golden Eagles scored double-digit points in the Oral Roberts women's basketball team's 71-56 victory at Omaha Sunday afternoon to begin Summit League play in Omaha, Nebraska.
The Golden Eagles began Sunday's game with back-and-forth play, but eventually took a 20-11 lead to end the first quarter. Omaha didn't shy away and went on to open the second with a 9-0 run to tie the game at 20. The Mavericks continued shooting well and took a 32-30 two point lead in to the break and out-scored ORU 21-10 in the second.
To open the second half, Omaha took its largest lead of the game at six just seconds in to the third. After a Golden Eagle timeout, ORU went on a 17-2 run to gain the lead back. The Golden Eagles found the bucket from beyond the arc and took an 11 point lead in the third after Maya Mayberry and Rylie Torrey hit back-to-back three-point buckets with under a minute to go in the quarter. The Golden Eagles came out in the fourth continuing their tough trap defense and won the fourth 16-12 and took its largest lead of the game by 15.
ORU had four double-digit scorers in the game. Rylie Torrey led the Golden Eagles with 17 points on the day going 5-for-8 from the three-point line and 6-for-10 overall. Torrey co-led the Golden Eagles with five rebounds on the day, tying her career high. Keni Jo Lippe also had five boards on the day. Regan Schumacher recorded a career high 12 points and went a perfect 5-for-5 from the field and 2-for-2 from the charity stripe. Maya Mayberry had 13 points on the day and Jordan Gilbert added with 10 points of her own. The Golden Eagles shot 49 percent overall on the day and 37 percent from long-range.
The Mavericks were led by Rayanna Carter who had 19 points on the day and shot 50 percent overall. Claire Killian scored 15 points in the game. Josie Filer led Omaha with eight rebounds. The Mavericks shots 70 percent in the second quarter and 38 percent overall in the game.
Oral Roberts: Torrey led the team with 17 points. Torrey and Lippe each had five rebounds.
Omaha: Carter scored 19 points and Filer had eight rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 49 percent overall in tonight's game.
- Omaha out-rebounded ORU 33-29. The Golden Eagles had seven offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 37 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 14 times, but forced the Mavericks to turn the ball over 19 times.
- ORU shot 72.2 percent from the free-throw line (13-for-18).
- Maya Mayberry scored 13 points shooting 5-for-9 overall and 2-for-5 from three-point range. Mayberry had four steals as well.
- Rylie Torrey scored 17 points with five rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Regan Schumacher had a career high 12 points going a perfect 5-for-5 on the day.
- Jordan Gilbert contributed with 10 points with five assists and two steals. Gilbert went 6-for-6 from the free throw line.
- ORU had 22 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 21 points off of turnovers and 18 points in the paint.
ORU returns to the friendly confines of the Mabee Center Wednesday, January 2 to take on new Summit League member North Dakota at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.