TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team earned its first win of the 2018-19 season, 74-46, against Harris-Stowe State Tuesday evening at the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles grabbed their first win in a season opener since the 2013-14 season, with a 28 point win over the Harris-Stowe State Hornets from St. Louis, Missouri. ORU's largest lead of the night was 41 points with 6:23 remaining in the final quarter. Sophomore guard, Katie Kirkhart, led the way for the Golden Eagles by tying her career high with 13 points on the night. Kirkhart went 5-for-8 overall and 1-for-2 from long range.
Lakota Beatty and Keni Jo Lippe each had 11 points in the game. Jordan Gilbert led the Golden Eagles with eight rebounds, four of them being offensive boards. Overall, the Golden Eagles shot 39.7 percent and 39.3 percent from three-point range. Defensively, ORU held Harris-Stowe to 28.1 overall shooting and 21.4 from long range.
The Golden Eagles held the Hornets to an 8:59 scoring drought that stretched through the first and second quarters. Maya Mayberry had a career high four steals. In the first half, the Hornets scored 13 total points with eight in the first quarter and five in the second. ORU forced 25 turnovers in the game.
Harris-Stowe State out-scored the Golden Eagles in the fourth quarter 21-16 with the help from a 12-0 run that occurred in the final five minutes of play. Tarkeisa Barnes recorded 17 points and seven rebounds for the Hornets. Barnes shot 7-for-15 overall in the game.
Tuesday's game was an exhibition match for Harris-Stowe State and does not count towards the Hornets' overall record.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 39.7 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Harris-Stowe State 52-37.
- The Golden Eagles had a 39.3 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 20 times, but forced the Hornets to turn the ball over 25 times.
- ORU shot 75 percent from the free-throw line.
- Katie Kirkhart tied her career high with 13 points. Kirkhart also had one assist and two steals.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored 11 points and recorded six rebounds. Lippe went 4-for-7 overall in 13 minutes of play.
- Lakota Beatty went 3-for-5 from three-point range and scored 11 points with five rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Sarah Garvie had eight points with three rebounds.
- Jordan Gilbert recorded four points with eight rebounds and three assists.
- Maya Mayberry tallied eight points and had a career high four steals.
- Rylie Torrey scored nine points with three rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- ORU had 31 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 26 points off of turnovers and 26 points in the paint.
ORU will travel to Iowa City, Iowa, to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes in the team's first road test of the season Friday, November 9 at 7 p.m. inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.