Score: Oral Roberts 73 – Fort Wayne 48
Records: Oral Roberts (10-5) (2-0); Fort Wayne (3-12) (0-2)
Location: Gates Sports Center – Fort Wayne, Indiana
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team handled the Fort Wayne Mastodons, 73-48, to improve to 2-0 in Summit League play Thursday evening at the Gates Sports Center in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
The Golden Eagles had a strong start with an early 7-0 run to begin the game. Fort Wayne came back to make it a two point game before the first media timeout of the game. ORU kept the lead through the remainder of the quarter and ended the first 10 minutes up 14-8. Jordan Gilbert scored five points in the first quarter and the Golden Eagles shot 46 percent from the field.
In the second quarter ORU went on a 12-0 run to extended its lead to 18. The Golden Eagle defense held the Mastodons to just seven points in the second and went in to halftime with a 35-15 lead. Sarah Garvie, Maria Martianez and Maya Mayberry each scored six points in the first 20 minutes of play. ORU shot 61.5 percent overall in the second quarter and 53.8 percent in the first half.
ORU jumped out quickly in the third and scored 20 points in the quarter. Maya Mayberry hit back-to-back three-point baskets to extend the Golden Eagles lead to 23. ORU continued to shoot above 50 percent in the quarter and went in to the fourth up 55-31. Maya Mayberry and Maria Martianez each had 12 points by the end of the third period.
The Golden Eagles closed out the game by scoring 18 points in the fourth quarter and won 73-48 in the contest against the Mastodons. ORU never trailed in the game and out-scored Fort Wayne in all four quarters. Maria Martianez led the team with 16 points going 7-for-13 from the field in 27 minutes of play. The Golden Eagles shot 53.7 percent overall in the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 53.7 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Fort Wayne 26-24.
- The Golden Eagles had a 60 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over eight times, but forced the Mastodons to turn the ball over 19 times.
- ORU shot 85.7 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored nine points and grabbed four rebounds along with two assists and two steals.
- Maria Martianez had 16 points and three rebounds. She also had one assist, one block and one steal
- Maya Mayberry recorded 12 points. She also had two rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied 10 points and five rebounds. Gilbert also had two assists and three steals.
- Sarah Garvie scored nine points along with two rebounds.
- Rachel Skalnik recorded one rebound in tonight's game.
- Montserrat Brotons scored six points and grabbed two rebounds in the game along with two assists.
- Katie Kirkhart played five minutes in tonight's game and recorded one assist.
- ORU had 20 points in the paint and 17 bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 27 points off turnovers.
ORU will close out its 11-game road trip with a contest against the defending Summit League Champions, Western Illinois Leathernecks, Saturday, January 6 at 4:30 p.m. inside Western Hall in Macomb, Illinois.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.