Score: Oral Roberts 50 – Utah 71
Records: Oral Roberts (8-5) (0-0); Utah (9-2) (0-0)
Location: Jon M. Huntsman Center – Salt Lake City, Utah
SALT LAKE CITY – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell 71-50 to the University of Utah Thursday afternoon in the team's nonconference finale in Salt Lake City, Utah, inside the Jon M. Huntsman Center.
The Golden Eagles started off slow going 0-for-8 from the field in the first five minutes. Maria Martianez scored the first bucket for ORU to put the Golden Eagles on the board. The Golden Eagle defense held the Utes to a 38 percent shooting average in the first quarter and trailed Utah 16-10 at the end of the first 10 minutes of play.
The Golden Eagles trailed 35-20 at the end of the first half. ORU shot 30 percent from the field, while Utah shot 42 percent. Maya Mayberry led the way for ORU with five first half points.
ORU continued to shoot 30 percent in the third quarter. Maria Martianez led the team with eight points, but the Golden Eagles trailed Utah 61-33 at the end of the third period.
The Golden Eagles trailed by as much as 31 points in the game, but out-scored the Utes 17-10 in the fourth quarter and cut the deficit to 21 before the final buzzer. ORU grabbed 15 offensive rebounds in the game and, two more than Utah. Maria Martianez was the Golden Eagles leading scorer with 14 for the day.
Oral Roberts: Maria Martianez scored 14 points and recorded eight rebounds.
Utah: Emily Potter scored 13 points for the Utes and had nine rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 35.1 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by Utah 38-37.
- The Golden Eagles had a 30 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Utes to turn the ball over eight times.
- ORU shot 43.8 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 11 points and grabbed six rebounds along with one assist and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had 14 points and eight rebounds. She also had two assists, two blocks and two steals.
- Maya Mayberry scored five points and had and one steal.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied three points and four rebounds. Gilbert also had one assist and one steal.
- Sarah Garvie played in 17 minutes of today's game.
- Rachel Skalnik totaled seven points and gathered three rebounds in the game. Skalnik also had two assists.
- Montserrat Brotons scored four points and grabbed six rebounds in the game.
- ORU had 18 points in the paint and 17 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles scored eight points off turnovers.
ORU will open Summit League play Saturday, December 30 against Omaha at 1 p.m. inside Baxter Arena in Omaha, Nebraska.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.