Score: Oral Roberts 56 – Houston Baptist 78
Records: Oral Roberts (2-3) (0-0); Houston Baptist (1-3) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Maya Mayberry scored a career high 17 points and led the Golden Eagles as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team defeated Houston Baptist, 78-56, Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles found themselves in a little bit of a hole in the first quarter. ORU shot 41.2 percent overall and Faith Ihim led the way with 8 points. Houston Baptist came out hot and shot 50 percent from the field in the first. ORU trailed 21-19 at the end of the first 10 minutes.
Beginning at the 9:07 mark in the second quarter, the Golden Eagles went on a 17-1 run that spanned over four minutes. During the run, Maya Mayberry led the way with seven points. Katie Kirkhart made her season debut in the second quarter at the 5:12 mark. Kirkhart previously competed on the ORU women's golf team before switching to basketball. ORU led Houston Baptist at the half 39-35.
Montserrat Brotons scored six of her nine total points in the third quarter. After trading baskets the Golden Eagles took a 13 point lead to end the third. ORU scored eight points in the paint with nine bench points in the quarter. The Golden Eagles led 58-45 to conclude the third.
Maria Martianez tallied her fifth career double-double and her first of the season after grabbing back-to-back rebounds in the fourth quarter. Martianez finished the day with 14 points and 11 rebounds. ORU out-scored Houston Baptist 20-11 in the fourth and finished the day shooting 43.5 percent from the field overall.
Oral Roberts: Maya Mayberry led the team with a career high 17 points. Maria Martianez grabbed the led team with 11 rebounds.
Houston Baptist: Amanda Johnson scored 16 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 43.5 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Houston Baptist 50-31.
- The Golden Eagles had a 40 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 20 times, but forced the Huskies to turn the ball over 17 times.
- ORU shot 64.3 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 15 points and recorded seven rebounds in the game.
- Maria Martianez had 14 points and 11 rebounds in the game for her first double-double of the season. Martianez also recorded three assists.
- Rachel Skalnik scored two points in the game and grabbed three rebounds.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled nine points and grabbed three rebounds with two assists and one block.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored seven points and recorded eight rebounds along with two assists and one steal.
- Maya Mayberry scored a career high 17 points. Mayberry also had one assist and two rebounds.
- Regan Schumacher grabbed four rebounds in the game.
- ORU had 32 points in the paint and 31 bench points in today's game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 18 points off turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will begin their 11 game road stretch on Wednesday, November 29, against crosstown rival Tulsa in the battle of the Mayor's Cup. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at the Reynolds Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.