Score: Oral Roberts 70 – Denver 57
Records: Oral Roberts (14-14) (6-9); Denver (6-21) (3-11)
Location: Magness Arena – Denver, Colo.
DENVER – Four Golden Eagles scored in double figures as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team defeated Denver 70-57 Sunday afternoon at Magness Arena in Denver, Colorado.
The Golden Eagles started the first quarter 6-13 from the field before the media timeout. Lakota Beatty scored seven straight points for ORU before the media break and was 3-3 from the field. ORU went on an 11-3 run in the first and led at the end of the quarter 19-13. The Golden Eagles shot 41.2 percent overall in the first and held Denver to 33.3 percent overall.
Out of the gate, Kaylan Mayberry opened the second quarter with a three-point bucket to extended ORU's lead to nine. ORU scored 23 points in the second quarter and shot 50 percent from the field. The Golden Eagles led 42-30 at the half and shot 45.5 percent in the first half and held Denver to 38.7 percent shooting. ORU turned the ball over only three times in the first half and forced Denver to commit five turnovers.
In the third quarter, Maria Martianez claimed her third double-double of the season. Denver cut ORU's lead down to four. Denver out-scored the Golden Eagles 20-12 in the third quarter. Denver went on a12-0 run in the third and trailed ORU 54-50 at the end of the quarter.
Faith Ihim captured her seventh double-double of the season in the fourth quarter. ORU out-scored Denver 16-7. The Golden Eagles held Denver to 20 percent shooting from the field in the fourth. Overall, ORU shot 37.7 percent from the field while Denver shot 39.3 percent. The Golden Eagles went 20-26 from the free-throw line in today's game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 37.7 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Denver 44-31.
- The Golden Eagles had a 44.4 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 10 times, but forced the Pioneers to also turn the ball over 10 times.
- ORU shot 76.9 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 10 points on the day along with one rebound and one steal.
- Faith Ihim recorded her seventh double-double of the season by scoring 20 points and recording 11 rebounds in the game. Ihim also had one assist and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had 16 points and 15 rebounds in the game along with one assist. Martianez recorded her third double-double of the season.
- Hillary Hurst scored three points and recorded three rebounds along with one assist in today's game.
- Rachel Skalnik scored two points and grabbed one rebound with two assists and one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled four points and grabbed three rebounds with one block.
- Ashley Beatty scored two points and recorded four rebounds.
- Lakota Beatty scored 13 points on the day with two rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- ORU had 28 points in the paint and 20 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 13 points off of turnovers.
ORU will play North Dakota State for its last regular season game on Saturday, February 25 at 12:30 p.m. inside the Mabee Center. It will be senior day for two Golden Eagles.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.