Score: Oral Roberts 50 – South Dakota 79
Records: Oral Roberts (13-14) (5-9); South Dakota (21-5) (10-3)
Location: Sanford Coyote Sports Center – Vermillion, S.D.
VERMILLION, S.D. – Four South Dakota Coyotes scored in double digits as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell in Vermillion, South Dakota, 79-50 Wednesday evening.
The Golden Eagles had a strong start in tonight's game by going 4-4 from the field to open the game. ORU shot 77 percent in the first quarter and went 10-13 from the field. Kaylan Mayberry and Lakota Beatty each had a three-point bucket in the first. ORU and South Dakota were tied at the end of the first 22-22.
Hot shooting for the Coyotes continued in the second quarter. South Dakota shot 7-12 overall from the three-point line before the media timeout. The Coyotes' post-player, Abigail Fogg, went 6-10 from the three-point line the first half and 6-12 overall from the field. The Golden Eagles shot 61.5 percent overall in the first and trailed South Dakota 41-34 at the half.
Maria Martianez opened the second half with her third bucket of the game to cut South Dakota's lead to five. The Coyotes jumped out quickly to a 14 point lead in the third. ORU cut the lead to nine, but South Dakota extended its lead to 13 by the end of the third. South Dakota out-scored ORU 15-9 in the third. The Golden Eagles trailed 56-43.
South Dakota went 10-16 from the field for 62.5 percent and extended its lead to 29, while scoring 23 points in the fourth. The Golden Eagles shot 15.4 percent in the fourth, but shot 42.3 percent overall in tonight's game.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim led the team with 17 points on the night and five rebounds.
South Dakota: Abigail Fogg scored 27 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 42.3 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by South Dakota 32-25.
- The Golden Eagles had a 12.5 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 17 times, but forced the Coyotes to turn the ball over 11 times.
- ORU shot 66.7 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had six points on the night along with two rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Faith Ihim scored 17 points and recorded five rebounds in the game along with one assist and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had eight points and five rebounds in the game along with three assists and two blocks.
- Hillary Hurst recorded one rebound in tonight's game.
- Rachel Skalnik scored two points and grabbed one rebound.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled eight points and grabbed four rebounds with one assist.
- Ashley Beatty scored two points and recorded two rebounds.
- Lakota Beatty scored seven points on the night with two rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- ORU had 32 points in the paint and 15 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with five points off of turnovers.
ORU will take its last regular season road trip to play against Denver on Sunday, February 19 at 12 p.m. inside Magness Arena in Denver.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.