Score: Oral Roberts 35 – South Dakota State 82
Records: Oral Roberts (13-12) (5-7); SDSU (19-5) (10-2)
Location: Frost Arena – Brookings, S.D.
BROOKINGS, S.D. – Four Jackrabbits scored in double digits as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell to South Dakota State 82-35 Wednesday evening in Brookings, South Dakota.
South Dakota State opened the game on a 12-0 run. Kaylan Mayberry scored the first bucket for the Golden Eagles just under the seven minute mark. South Dakota State led ORU 21-6 at the end of the quarter. The Jackrabbits shot 47 percent from the field in the first and held the Golden Eagles to 30 percent.
The Jackrabbits came out hot in the second quarter. Before the media timeout, South Dakota State shot 75 percent from the field. SDSU led at the break 42-12.
ORU came out of the locker room at halftime and went on a quick 4-0 run to open the second half. The Golden Eagles shot 35 percent in the third, while SDSU shot 68 percent. SDSU led 64-24 at the end of the third.
The Jackrabbits out-scored ORU in the fourth 18-11. South Dakota State shot 51 percent from the field in the game, while ORU shot 29 percent. Maria Martianez scored 18 points for the Golden Eagles and grabbed 8 rebounds.
Oral Roberts: Maria Martianez led the team with 18 points and eight rebounds.
South Dakota State: Clarissa Ober scored 18 points and grabbed 15 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 29.1 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by SDSU 46-28.
- The Golden Eagles had a 0 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 16 times, but forced the Jackrabbits to turn the ball over 10 times.
- ORU shot 50 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had eight points on the night along with one assist.
- Faith Ihim recorded four rebounds in the game.
- Maria Martianez had 18 points and eight rebounds in the game along with three assists, one block and one steal.
- Hillary Hurst scored three points in tonight's game and grabbed four rebounds.
- Rachel Skalnik scored four points and grabbed two rebounds.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled two points and grabbed four rebounds.
- Ashley Beatty grabbed six rebounds, dished out one assist and captured one steal.
- ORU had 14 points in the paint and five bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with four points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will face Omaha on Saturday, February 11 at 12:30 p.m. inside the Mabee Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.