Score: Oral Roberts 54 – IUPUI 45
Records: Oral Roberts (13-11) (5-6); IUPUI (17-7) (7-4)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Three Golden Eagles scored in double figures as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team upset IUPUI 54-45 Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
ORU and IUPUI started out slow in Saturday's game. At the under-five media timeout, IUPUI led 4-2. The Golden Eagles defense forced six IUPUI turnovers in the first quarter. ORU led at the end of the first 9-7. The Golden Eagles shot 33.3 percent from the field and forced three steals along with one block.
The two teams combined scored 30 points in the second quarter. IUPUI out-scored ORU 18-12, while both teams shot 42 percent from the field. Rachel Skalnik forced two steals and at the end of the second, but IUPUI led ORU 25-21 at the break. In the first half, Kaylan Mayberry and Faith Ihim led the way for ORU with six points each. ORU forced 10 IUPUI turnovers in the first half.
After a Golden Eagles stop, Maria Martianez opened the third quarter with a 14-foot jumper to cut IUPUI's lead to two. Faith Ihim scored a layup on the next possession to tie the game at 25 with seven minutes remaining in the third. IUPUI took a 40-38 lead at the end of the third quarter and the Jaguars shot 50 percent in the third, while ORU shot 23 percent.
The Golden Eagles played impressive defense in the fourth quarter by holding IUPUI to five points and 15.4 percent overall shooting. ORU shot 62.5 percent from the field and scored 16 points. Overall, ORU shot 38.3 percent on the day and held IUPUI to 33.3 percent. Down the stretch, Maria Martianez went 10-10 from the free-throw line and recorded three blocks.
In the fourth quarter, ORU out-scored IUPUI 16-5. Overall, the Golden Eagles forced IUPUI to turn the ball over 17 times.
IUPUI: Mikale Rogers recorded 13 points and 12 rebounds for the Jaguars.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 38.3 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded IUPUI 35-33.
- The Golden Eagles had a 20 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 16 times, but forced the Jaguars to turn the ball over 17 times.
- ORU shot 85 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 11 points on the day along with one rebound, four assists and two steals.
- Faith Ihim scored 12 points and grabbed six rebounds in today's game.
- Maria Martianez had 20 points and five rebounds in the game along with three blocks, one assist and two steals.
- Hillary Hurst scored two points in today's game with one steal.
- Rachel Skalnik scored four points and grabbed five rebounds in today's game along with one block and three steals.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled two points and grabbed two rebounds.
- Ashley Beatty scored three points and grabbed seven rebounds on the day. She also had one assist.
- ORU had 18 points in the paint and four bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 17 points off of turnovers.
ORU will head north to Brookings, South Dakota, to take on the South Dakota State Jackrabbits on Wednesday, February 8 at 7 p.m. inside Frost Arena.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.