Score: Oral Roberts 75 – Fort Wayne 59
Records: Oral Roberts (11-9) (3-4); Fort Wayne (3-17) (0-7)
Location: Gates Sports Center – Fort Wayne, Ind.
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – The ORU women's basketball team grabbed a Summit League road win by beating the Fort Wayne Mastodons 75-59 Saturday afternoon at the Gates Sports Center in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
ORU and Fort Wayne exchanged baskets early in the first quarter, but the Golden Eagles led 27-17 at the buzzer. The Golden Eagles shot 90 percent overall in the first quarter and went 3-3 from behind the three-point line.
In the second quarter, ORU kept its 10 point lead until mid-way through the quarter when the Mastodons cut the lead to seven. After exchanging baskets, the Golden Eagles went in to halftime with a 37-32 lead. The Mastodons out-scored ORU in the second 15-10. Overall, the Golden Eagles shot 53.6 percent in the first half and the defense held Fort Wayne to a 48.1 overall shooting percentage.
ORU extended its lead in the third quarter by 13. The Golden Eagles defense held the Mastodons to six points in the third and held Fort Wayne to a 13.3 shooting percentage. ORU scored 14 points in the third off of 54.5 percent shooting. ORU led Fort Wayne at the end of the third quarter 51-38.
The Golden Eagles took over the fourth quarter and won by a final score of 75-59. ORU shot 51.9 percent overall in the game and 36.4 percent from the three-point line. The Golden Eagles shot 85 percent from the free-throw line. Three Golden Eagles ended the game in double digits. The Golden Eagles scored 24 points in the fourth quarter.
In the fourth quarter, ORU dominated by scoring 24 points. Maria Martianez went 10-10 from the free-throw line in today's game. The Golden Eagles held the Mastodons to 1-10 from behind the three-point line.
Fort Wayne: Rachel Rinehart led the Mastodons with 21 points. Selena Lozada gathered nine rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 51.9 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Fort Wayne 36-25.
- The Golden Eagles had a 36.4 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Mastodons to turn the ball over 11 times.
- ORU shot 85 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 17 points on the day along with two rebounds, one steal and three assists.
- Faith Ihim scored eight points and grabbed nine rebounds in today's game. Ihim created one steal as well and dished out one assist.
- Maria Martianez had 20 points in the game along with six rebounds, one assist and one block.
- Jordan Gilbert had 12 points and seven rebounds with two assists and one block.
- Hillary Hurst scored five points in today's game with two rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- Freshman Alexa Scott made her first career start in today's game. Scott had one point with one rebound and one steal.
- Rachel Skalnik scored a career high eight points and grabbed a career high five rebounds in today's game along with four assists.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled four points, two rebounds and one block.
- ORU had 30 points in the paint and 17 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 14 points off of turnovers.
ORU will compete against Denver inside the Mabee Center on Wednesday, January 25 at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.