Score: Oral Roberts 41 – IUPUI 53
Records: Oral Roberts (10-9) (2-4); IUPUI (13-6) (3-3)
Location: The Jungle – Indianapolis, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS – Danielle Lawrence scored 29 points for the Jaguars as the ORU women's basketball team fell to IUPUI Thursday evening 53-41 at The Jungle in Indianapolis.
A fast start for ORU gave the Golden Eagles a 15-13 lead after the first 10 minutes of play. The Golden Eagles closed out the first quarter on a 7-2 run and overcame a three point deficit. ORU shot 63.6 percent in the first quarter. Maria Martianez led the way for ORU with six points in the first.
In the second quarter, IUPUI went on a 16-2 run and led the Golden Eagles 36-25 at the half. ORU shot 44 percent overall in the first half, while IUPUI shot 46.7 percent. The Jaguars went 8-13 in the first half from three-point range.
The Golden Eagles cut IUPUI's lead to seven in the third quarter, but the Jaguars continued to stay hot from behind the arc and ended the third with a 46-34 lead. ORU scored nine points in the quarter, while IUPUI scored 10.
ORU's defense only allowed IUPUI seven points in the fourth and held the Jaguars to nine percent shooting from the field. The Golden Eagles scored seven points in the fourth on 15.4 percent shooting. ORU went 16-46 overall in the game and 1-6 from the behind the three-point line. IUPUI went 10-24 from behind the arc.
In the third quarter, ORU cut IUPUI's lead down to seven. The Jaguars stayed hot from behind the arc and overcame the Golden Eagles rally.
IUPUI: Danielle Lawrence led the Jaguars with 29 points. Mikale Rogers gathered seven rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 34.8 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded IUPUI 34-32.
- The Golden Eagles had a 16.7 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 16 times, but forced the Jaguars to turn the ball over 11 times.
- ORU shot 66.7 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had six points on the night along with four rebounds, one steal and one assist.
- Faith Ihim scored eight points and four rebounds in tonight's game. Ihim grabbed two steals as well.
- Maria Martianez had 16 points in the game along with six rebounds, one assist, one block and two steals.
- Jordan Gilbert had six points, 11 rebounds with two steals and one assist.
- Hillary Hurst scored five points in tonight's game.
- ORU had 20 points in the paint and five bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 13 points off of turnovers.
ORU will travel to Fort Wayne to face the Mastodons on Saturday, January 21 at 1 p.m. CST inside Gates Sports Center in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.