Score: Oral Roberts 57 – South Dakota State 78
Records: Oral Roberts (10-8) (2-3); South Dakota State (14-4) (5-1)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The ORU women's basketball team could not hold off the red hot South Dakota State Jackrabbits Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center in 78-57 loss.
South Dakota State gathered the first five points of the game. Hot shooting for the Jackrabbits allowed them more than 70 percent shooting from the field through most of the quarter. The Golden Eagles defense stood strong and cut the percentage down to 57 percent. ORU trailed by 11 in the first, but cut the deficit to seven at the end of the quarter.
In the second quarter, the Golden Eagles cut in to the Jackrabbits lead to four. South Dakota State went on an 11-0 run to extend its lead to 19. SDSU took a 17 point lead in to halftime. The Jackrabbits shot 47 percent overall in the first half and 50 percent from three-point range. The Golden Eagles shot 38 percent in the first half. Jordan Gilbert led the way for ORU in the first half with 13 points and two rebounds.
South Dakota State extended its lead to 23 in the third, but the Golden Eagles cut the deficit to 20 before the end of the quarter. The Jackrabbits shot 29 percent in the third and scored 12 points. ORU shot 20 percent and scored nine points.
ORU came out strong in the fourth and cut the Jackrabbits lead to 15, but could not make the full comeback. SDSU, down the stretch, extended its lead to 23 and won by a final score of 78-57. ORU shot 34 percent overall in today's game.
In the fourth quarter, ORU put out a strong effort to make a comeback and Faith Ihim grabbed her fifth double-double of the season while she finished the day with 19 points and 11 rebounds.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim led the team with 19 points and 11 rebounds on the day.
South Dakota State: Clarissa Ober and Madison Guebert each had 12 points in the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 33.9 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by South Dakota State 40-37.
- The Golden Eagles had a 28.6 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Jackrabbits to turn the ball over 12 times.
- ORU shot 75 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had eight points on the day along with three rebounds, two steals and one assist.
- Faith Ihim scored 19 points and 11 rebounds in today's game. Ihim recorded her fifth double-double of the season.
- Maria Martianez had seven points in the game along with six rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal.
- Jordan Gilbert had 15 points, six rebounds and two assists.
- Lakota Beatty gathered two points and four rebounds along with one steal and one assist in today's game.
- Ashley Beatty had two points on the day.
- Alexa Scott grabbed four points with five rebounds along with one assist and one block.
- ORU had 26 points in the paint and six bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 16 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will hit the road for a two game road trip beginning at IUPUI inside The Jungle in Indianapolis, Indiana on Thursday, January 19 at 6 p.m. CST.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.