Score: Oral Roberts 82 – Fort Wayne 56
Records: Oral Roberts (10-5) (2-0); Fort Wayne (3-12) (0-2)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The ORU women's basketball team handled Fort Wayne 82-56 Saturday afternoon inside the Mabee Center to grab its 10th win of the season.
ORU took an early 14-2 lead going in to the first media timeout. The Golden Eagles defense did not allow a Fort Wayne field goal until 2:08 left in the quarter. ORU scored 22 of their 24 first quarter points in the the paint. The Golden Eagles did not attempt a three-point shot in the first. ORU led 24-6 at the conclusion of the first quarter.
The Golden Eagles continued their strong efforts in the second quarter. The team held the Mastodons to 11 points and ORU scored 17. ORU shot 55 percent from the field in the first half and held Fort Wayne to 25 percent. Lakota Beatty hit two three-point buckets in the second quarter and the Golden Eagles took a 41-17 halftime lead in to the locker room.
In the third quarter, ORU went 4-6 from behind the arc and scored 24 points. ORU shot 60 percent from the field and held Fort Wayne to 44 percent. Fort Wayne added 20 points to its total score and at the end of the quarter ORU led 65-37.
The Golden Eagles extended their lead in the fourth quarter and defeated the Mastodons 82-56. Overall ORU shot 54.2 percent from the field and held Fort Wayne to 37.3 percent. This was the Golden Eagles' 10th win of the season and it's the first time since 1977 that ORU has earned 10 wins before the end of December.
The Golden Eagles jumped out to an early 14-2 lead in the first quarter. ORU's defense held Fort Wayne to 16.7 percent shooting and six points in the first quarter.
Fort Wayne: Zaria Atkins scored 13 points in today's contest.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 54.2 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by Fort Wayne 31-29.
- The Golden Eagles had a 71.4 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 12 times, but forced the Mastodons to turn the ball over 19 times.
- ORU shot 72.7 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 19 points on the day along with two rebounds, two steals and three assists.
- Faith Ihim scored seven points and six rebounds along with one assist.
- Lakota Beatty had 20 points in the game along with one assist, two rebounds, one block and two steals.
- Freshman Alexa Scott tied her career-high of 10 points and had eight rebounds in today's game.
- Maria Martianez had a productive day with 11 points, three rebounds, three assists, two blocks and one steal.
- Ashley Beatty had six points and one rebound on the day along with two assists, one block and two steals.
- Jordan Gilbert went 2-3 from the field for four points. Gilbert also had three rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- ORU had 38 points in the paint and 35 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 22 points off of turnovers.
- The Golden Eagles led the entire game.
The Golden Eagles have a road test against Western Illinois on Saturday, January 7 at 4:30 p.m. inside Western Hall in Macomb, Illinois.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.