Score: Oral Roberts 78 – Missouri State 56
Records: Oral Roberts (5-4); Missouri State (2-6)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – A full team effort lifted the Oral Roberts women's basketball team to victory over Missouri State 78-56 Wednesday evening inside the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles started out a little slow against Missouri State. The team found itself in a seven point deficit halfway through the first quarter, but then went on an 8-0 run and ORU lead the Bears 17-16 at the end of the first. The Golden Eagles came out and shot 31.6 percent from the field and were 4-4 from the free throw line in the first quarter.
ORU jumped out to a seven point lead early in the second quarter. Missouri State rallied back to tie the game halfway through the quarter and then hot shooting put the Golden Eagles up 39-32 at the half. The Golden Eagles out-scored the Bears in the second quarter 22-16 with 12 points in the paint. As a whole, the team shot 50 percent from the field in the second.
After halftime, the Golden Eagles came out and played outstanding defense. The team held Missouri State to only 12 points in the third quarter. ORU quickly took a 19 point lead with 2:27 remaining. The Golden Eagles went 8-8 from the free-throw line and led 61-44 at the end of the third quarter.
The defense continued to hold for ORU in the fourth by only allowing Missouri State to go 3-13 from the field. ORU out-scored the Bears 17-12 in the fourth with 10 points in the paint. Ashley Beatty went 3-4 from the field in the fourth. ORU beat Missouri State with a final score of 78-56.
In the third quarter, ORU out-scored MSU 22-12 and went 8-8 from the free-throw line.
Missouri State: Liza Fruendt had 12 points with five rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 42.2 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by Missouri State 44-35 in tonight's contest.
- ORU turned the ball over four times, but forced the Bears to turn the ball over 15 times.
- ORU shot 90.5 percent from the free throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had seven points on the day along with two rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Faith Ihim scored 13 points and five rebounds along with four steals.
- Jordan Gilbert had seven points with five rebounds and two assists against Missouri State.
- Maria Martianez scored 18 points along with 13 rebounds in the game for her first double-double of the season.
- Lakota Beatty had seven points with one assist, one steal, one block and five rebounds in the game.
- Ashley Beatty scored a career-high 18 points against Missouri State along with three rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal.
- ORU had 40 points in the paint and 18 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 23 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will play game number two of their three game homestand Saturday, December 10 against Tennessee-Martin. The game will be at 12:30 p.m. inside the Mabee Center. The Skyhawks currently hold a 3-6 record for the season.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.