Score: Oral Roberts 75 – Houston Baptist 65
Records: Oral Roberts (2-3); Houston Baptist (1-4)
Location: Sharp Gym – Houston, Texas
HOUSTON – A full team effort allowed the Oral Roberts women's basketball team to defeat Houston Baptist 75-65 Saturday afternoon at Sharp Gym in Houston.
The Golden Eagles stormed the court early and went on a 13-0 run before the media timeout in the first quarter. ORU extended its run to 19-0 before Houston Baptist scored a three pointer at the 4:38 mark.
The Golden Eagles shot 63 percent from the field in the first quarter and forced seven turnovers along with five steals.
The Huskies scored 20 points in the second quarter, but ORU had a 45-31 lead going in to halftime. Jordan Gilbert scored 7 points in the second. Maria Martianez gathered six rebounds in the first half and Faith Ihim scored 10 points. The Golden Eagles forced 11 turnovers in the first half. ORU shot 37.5 percent from the field in the second.
In the third period, the Golden Eagles managed to gather eight points in the paint all scored by freshman Montserrat Brotons. Brotons went 4-4 from the field in the third quarter and the team shot a combined 38.5 percent. ORU led the Huskies 58-46 at the end of the third.
Hot shooting prevailed for the Golden Eagles in the fourth quarter. The team shot 54.5 percent and scored 17 points. Hillary Hurst hit her first three point bucket of the year in the fourth as the Golden Eagles went on to win 75-65.
As a team, the Golden Eagles jumped ahead early in the first quarter on a 19-0 run and there was no looking back. Houston Baptist never led in the game and ORU's largest lead of the day was by 20.
Houston Baptist: Bria Johnson scored 12 points and Taylor Kollmorgen gathered nine rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 40.0 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Houston Baptist 34-28 in today's contest.
- ORU turned the ball over just 14 times, but forced HBU to turn the ball over 20 times.
- Maria Martianez scored seven points and seven rebounds in the game along with two steals, two blocks and one assist.
- Faith Ihim scored 15 points and five rebounds. She also had one steal.
- Freshman Montserrat Brotons set a career-high with 15 points in today's game. She gathered five rebounds and had one block.
- Freshmen Hillary Hurst set a career-high with nine points, two steals and one assist.
- Jordan Gilbert scored 13 points along with her three assists and three steals.
The Golden Eagles will head home to play USAO on Tuesday, November 29 at 12 p.m. in TTCU's Best Field Trip Ever at the Mabee Center. The Drovers currently hold a 2-4 record for the season.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.