Score: Oral Roberts 77 – South Dakota 74
Record: ORU (8-13, 4-2) – USD (8-10, 2-3)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – Led by the freshmen, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team held off a South Dakota charge and claimed a 77-74 victory, Thursday night at the Mabee Center.
Kevin Obanor (31 points) and DeShang Weaver (24 points) each set season highs in scoring, while Carlos Jürgens added 14 points. Obanor had 11 rebounds and senior Kerwin Smith grabbed a season high 10 boards.
Stanley Umude led South Dakota with 21 points while Tyler Peterson added 20 and a game-high 12 rebounds. Cody Kelley also notched the double-double with 14 points and 10 boards.
ORU out-rebounded USD 40-33 and made 23-30 free throws, 16 of which came from Obanor as he tied for fourth in the ORU history books for made free throws in a game.
After seeing ORU's 15-point lead cut to three, Obanor went 4-4 from the free throw line in the final two minutes to hold off the Coyotes.
Oral Roberts: Obanor led ORU with 31 points and 11 rebounds, while Jürgens had three steals.
South Dakota: Umude scored 21 points and Peterson added 10 and a game high 12 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 39 percent (25-59) from the field, 47 percent (8-17) from 3-point range and 76 percent (23-30) from the free throw line.
- South Dakota shot 45 percent (25-55) from the field, 30 percent (7-23) from 3-point range and 89 percent (17-19) from the free throw line.
- ORU won the rebounding battle 40-33, including 15 offensive rebounds which led to 17 second chance points.
- ORU got 49 points from the bench, the biggest point production off the bench against a Division I opponent this season.
News and Notes
- With a layup, a 3-pointer and eight free throws, Obanor alone went on a 13-0 run over a span of 1:53 in the first half to put ORU in front 37-28 with a minute to play.
- Obanor's 16 made free throws are tied for fourth in ORU history. The school record is 17, held by Caleb Green (twice) and Anthony Roberts.
- Adding to his career night, the 31 points from Obanor are the third most by a freshman in ORU history, trailing only Warren Niles (39 points at IUPUI) and Caleb Green (33 points at UMKC).
- Weaver also notched a career high with his third game this season scoring at least 20 points.
- For the second game in a row, Jürgens scored 14 points, matching his career high against a Division I opponent.
- 69 of ORU's 77 points coming from the freshman trio of Obanor, Weaver and Jürgens.
- ORU now leads the all-time series with South Dakota 7-6.
ORU heads back on the road to face Denver Sunday afternoon before returning home for a four-game home stand.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).