Score: FGCU 96 – Oral Roberts 76
Record: FGCU (3-8) – ORU (3-8)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – Emmanuel Nzekwesi grabbed his 500th career rebound Wednesday evening against Florida Gulf Coast University, but FGCU hit 15 3-pointers to earn the 96-76 victory over ORU at the Mabee Center.
FGCU's 15 triples set the Mabee Center record for 3-pointers made by an opponent, topping the 14 made by UMKC February 22, 2003. It took the Kangaroos 36 attempts to hit their mark, while FGCU broke it on just 25 attempts, shooting 60 percent from long range.
Nzekwesi led ORU with 16 points, while Aidan Saunders added 14 and DeShang Weaver chipped in 11. Kerwin Smith grabbed a team-best seven rebounds and Kaelen Malone led the team with five assists and just one turnover.
FGCU got 24 points from Schadrac Casimir and 16 points each from Decardo Day and RaySean Scott, Jr. Scott grabbed eight rebounds for the Eagles and helped FGCU to a 32-24 rebounding advantage.
A four-point game with 16:39 to play after a Nzekwesi dunk, FGCU went on an extended run of 27-7, which was finished by scoring 16 straight, to go up 24, their largest lead of the game.
Oral Roberts: Nzekwesi was the leading scorer with 16 points, while Smith led the Golden Eagles in rebounding with seven. Malone dished out five assists and Sam Kearns had two of the team's four steals.
FGCU: Casimir led the scoring effort with 24 points on an 8-12 shooting effort, while Scott grabbed eight rebounds. Day had six assists for FGCU.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 51 percent (31-60) from the field and 31 percent (7-22) from 3-point range. ORU was 7-13 from the free throw line.
- FGCU shot 60 percent (33-55) from the field and 60 percent (15-25) from 3-point range. FGCU was 15-17 from the free throw line.
- FGCU held a 32-24 rebounding advantage.
- ORU out-scored FGCU 42-36 in the paint and 15-9 on fast breaks.
- FGCU had more turnovers than ORU (13-11), but the visitors out-scored ORU 25-18 on points off turnovers.
News and Notes
- Nzekwesi had a put-back dunk early in the second half that gave him 500 rebounds for his career.
- ORU shot better than 50 percent from the field for the second time this year and the first time against a Division I opponent. The Golden Eagles shot 58 percent against Ecclesia.
- ORU has turned the ball over just 21 times combined in the last two games, setting a season low with 10 turnovers at SMU and following that up with 11 turnovers Wednesday night against FGCU. ORU has 33 assists during the same games.
- The 15 3-pointers made by FGCU set a Mabee Center record for an opponent, topping the 14 triples by UMKC on February 22, 2003.
- ORU's 24 rebounds were the fewest in a game this season.
ORU will play its third game in six days as the Golden Eagles travel to Missouri Friday night at 6 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).