Score: Oral Roberts 79 – Southwestern 62
Record: ORU (1-1) – Southwestern (3-0)*
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
* - Friday's game was an exhibition for Southwestern
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team-outscored Southwestern 21-4 to close the first half and the Golden Eagles went on to beat the Moundbuilders 79-62 at the Mabee Center, Friday night.
Emmanuel Nzekwesi notched the 13th double-double of his career with 24 points and 12 rebounds, leading ORU in both categories. The Golden Eagles had five players reach double figures in scoring with Sam Kearns scoring 14 points while Carlos Jürgens, Aidan Saunders and Kaelen Malone each added 11 points.
It was the Cameron Hunt show for the Moundbuilders as the senior dropped 40 points on a 14-20 shooting effort. He also led Southwestern with eight rebounds.
ORU led the rebounding battle 45-33 and held a Southwestern team that averaged 49 percent from the field in its first three games to just 39 percent on Friday.
Down 26-21 with 5:42 to play in the first half, ORU rattled off an 18-0 run, started by 3-pointers from Saunders and Jurgens to give ORU the 27-26 lead. The Golden Eagles extended the advantage to 42-30 at halftime.
Oral Roberts: Nzekwesi matched his career high with 24 points and grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds for the double-double. Kearns dished out six assists while Jürgens had three steals.
Southwestern: Hunt led his team in scoring (40 points), rebounding (eight rebounds) and assists (two).
Inside the Box Score
- After a slow start offensively, ORU shot 43 percent (32-73) for the game, including a 7-16 mark from 3-point range in the first half. ORU was 10-32 (31 percent) from 3-point range and connected on 5-8 free throws.
- Southwestern shot 39 percent (23-58) from the field, 24 percent (7-29) from 3-point range and 75 percent (9-12) from the free throw line.
- ORU out-rebounded Southwestern 45-33, grabbing 14 offensive rebounds.
- The Golden Eagles dominated inside with a 38-20 advantage in points in the paint and a 22-9 lead in second chance points.
News and Notes
- Nzekwesi matched his career high with 24 points and earned the 13th double-double of his career.
- ORU has now won its last eight home openers dating back to the 2011-12 season.
- Eight of the 10 Golden Eagles that saw the court scored in the game.
- Senior Chaz Schneider made his ORU debut on Friday.
- Six Golden Eagles set season highs in scoring on Friday as the ORU offense posted five double-digit scorers for the first time since facing Omaha February 22, 2018.
- Hunt became the first opponent to score more than 30 points against the Golden Eagles since Oakland's Martez Walker scored 32 at the Mabee Center last season.
ORU is back on the road, Sunday, as the Golden Eagles travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to take on TCU in a 4 p.m. tip off that will be televised on Fox Sports Southwest.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).