Score: Oral Roberts 83 – Omaha 75
Record: ORU (11-20, 5-9) – Omaha (9-20, 4-9)
Location: Omaha, Neb. (Baxter Arena)
OMAHA, Neb. – Oral Roberts led Omaha for more than 27 minutes and used a 16-3 second half run to put the game out of reach, Thursday night at Baxter Arena. ORU led by as many as 14 with just under three minutes to play after the extended run.
Albert Owens was dominant inside with 21 points, leading a cast of five double-digit scorers for ORU. Javan White earned his ninth double-double of the season with 14 points and a game high 12 rebounds. Austin Ruder added 17 points, Jontray Harris scored 11 and had a team best five assists, and Sam Kearns chipped in 10 points.
Zach Jackson led the Mavericks with 26 points while Mitch Hahn scored 23 as the duo combined to go 19-29 from the field. Jackson also led the rebounding effort for Omaha with eight boards.
Quote of the Game
"We are a good offensive rebounding team and I was disappointed that we weren't able to get offensive rebounds in the first half. Fortunately we were able to get five offensive rebounds down the stretch during that run that we had." – ORU Coach Paul Mills
After a 7-0 run put ORU on top, Omaha ended it with a 3-pointer to make it 66-61. ORU then responded with a 9-0 run to go up 75-61 with 2:48 to play.
Oral Roberts: Owens scored 21 points while White grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds. Harris had five assists and White led the way with three of the team's five steals.
Omaha: Jackson led the Mavericks in scoring (26) and rebounding (eight), while JT Gibson dished out five assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 48 percent (32-66) from the field and 36 percent (8-22) from 3-point range. The Golden Eagles were 11-15 from the free throw line.
- Omaha shot 49 percent (31-63) from the field and 32 percent (8-25) from beyond the arc. UNO was 5-8 from the free throw line.
- ORU out-rebounded the Mavericks 38-29, the 18th time this season in which ORU has out-rebounded its opponent.
- ORU out-scored Omaha 46-36 in the paint and 16-7 in second chance points.
- ORU's bench out-scored Omaha 17-8, led by Harris's 11 points.
News and Notes
- Owens recorded his fifth 20-point game of the season and the 21st of his career with 21 points, Thursday.
- White's double-double was his ninth of the season.
- ORU had five double-digit scorers for the fourth time this year.
- In the last game of the regular season, ORU found itself tied at the half, marking the first time this season to be tied at the break.
- ORU is 9-4 this year when getting to the free throw line more than the opponent.
- Shooting 54 percent (13-24) to start the first half, ORU went cold late in the period, hitting just two of their final two shots.
ORU will head to The Summit League Tournament March 3-6 at the Sanford PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls, S.D.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).