Score: Minnesota 77 – Oral Roberts 63
Record: Minnesota (10-3) – ORU (4-11)
Location: Minneapolis, Minn. (Williams Arena)
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – Despite a career scoring effort from Chris Miller, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team could not overcome the balanced attack of Minnesota Thursday night at Williams Arena as the Gophers won 77-63.
Miller scored 18 points, 12 of which came in the first half, to lead all scorers. Emmanuel Nzekwesi and R.J. Fuqua each scored 10 points, while Nzekwesi was dominant on the boards with 15 rebounds. Miller had six total rebounds, five of which were offensive rebounds.
Minnesota had five players reach double figures, led by Jordan Murphy's 17 point, 10 rebound performance.
Quote of the Game
"As of today we have played the 10th toughest schedule in the country, so we feel like we are very prepared for Summit League play. Obviously the goal is to win, but I'm proud of the guys and their effort. We have to do a better job of cleaning some things up and we have some guys injured so they'll get healthy and that will help." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
After turning the ball over five times in the first half, ORU turned it over six times in the first five minutes of the second half to allow Minnesota to extend its lead from one point to double digits.
Oral Roberts: Miller was the leading scorer for the Golden Eagles with 18 points, while Nzekwesi was the leading rebounder with 15 boards. Kearns dished out five assist to lead the way.
Minnesota: The Gophers got 17 points from Jordan Murphy, who also led them in rebounding with 10 boards. Amir Coffey had seven assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 39.4 percent (26-66) from the field for the game but just 18 percent (3-16) from 3-point range.
- Minnesota shot 38 percent (24-63) from the field and 31 percent (6-19) from 3-point range.
- The Gophers hit 23 of their 28 free throw attempts (82 percent), while ORU hit eight of 12 from the charity stripe (66 percent).
- ORU out-rebounded Minnesota 45-41, the third straight game in which ORU has out-rebounded its opponent, doing so against Florida Gulf Coast and Arkansas.
- The Golden Eagles out-scored Minnesota 42-28 in the paint but the Gophers held a 19-6 advantage in points off turnovers.
News and Notes
- Miller matched his career high with 12 points in the first half alone, doing so on a 6-10 shooting effort in the first 20 minutes. Miller finished with a new career high 18 points and tied his career best with six rebounds. Miller also had six rebounds as a freshman against Oklahoma and Baylor.
- ORU's 10-0 first half run was the longest scoring run of the season The Golden Eagles had 9-0 runs in each of the two previous games.
- Minnesota was the second straight opponent (Arkansas) for ORU who was receiving votes in the AP poll.
- Nzekwesi earned his second double-double of the season and seventh of his career with 10 points and 15 rebounds.
- In the first half there were four ties and nine lead changes but neither team was able to score for the final 2:22 of the half, giving Minnesota a 38-34 advantage at halftime.
ORU will have more than a week off for Christmas before returning to the Mabee Center December 30 to start Summit League play against Omaha.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).