Score: Arkansas 104 – ORU 69
Record: Arkansas (9-2) – ORU (4-10)
Location: Fayetteville, Ark. (Bud Walton Arena)
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The "Fastest 40" sped up the Oral Roberts offense and caused 27 turnovers as Arkansas took a 104-69 win over the Golden Eagles Tuesday night at Bud Walton Arena.
Emmanuel Nzekwesi scored 16 points in the second half and finished with a game high 22 points on a 10-13 shooting effort. He was perfect 8-8 inside the arc and hit a pair of threes as well. Javan White continued his dominance on the boards with his sixth double digit rebounding effort in the last seven games with 16 rebounds.
The ORU offense took off in the second half as the Golden Eagles shot 61 percent in the half and played the Razorbacks to within six in the second half. ORU's best spurt came midway through the second half, trimming a 40-point deficit to 26 with a 20-6 run. ORU led the rebounding battle for the second game in a row with a 34-25 advantage.
Arkansas was led by Jaylen Barford who scored 18 points and was 8-9 from the field. Daniel Gafford and Anton Beard each had four rebounds to lead the Razorbacks on the boards. The Razorbacks hit 14 3-pointers, the most by an ORU opponent this season.
Quote of the Game
"Arkansas is 109th in the country in causing turnovers, so they don't really cause them, they try to speed you up and make you play faster than normal. I think they smelled blood in the water and they took advantage of the opportunity to create offense via the turnover." – ORU Coach Paul Mills
ORU had it tied 8-8 four minutes into the game, but over the next four minutes turnovers caught up to the Golden Eagles and Arkansas mounted an 11-0 run and never looked back.
Oral Roberts: Nzekwesi was the game's leading scorer with 22 points while White was the lone double-digit rebounder with 16 boards.
Arkansas: Arkansas got 18 points from Jaylen Barford and no Razorback had more than four rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU caught fire in the second half, shooting 61 percent (19-31) for the frame to bring their field goal percentage for the game up to 53 percent (29-55). The Golden Eagles shot 35 percent (8-23) from 3-point range, with half of the long-range makes coming from Fuqua.
- ORU out-rebounded Arkansas 34-25, but fell for just the second time this season when winning the rebounding battle.
- Arkansas shot 59 percent (41-69) for the game and 56 percent (14-25) from 3-point range. The Razorbacks had 27 assists to just nine turnovers.
- Arkansas also held a decisive advantage in points off turnovers, leading 42-9 in that category.
News and Notes
- Fuqua reached double figures for the fifth time this season and the second game in a row.
- With his 22 points, Nzekwesi led the team in scoring for the fifth time this season and the eighth time in his career.
- White had his second most rebounds in a game this season with 16, just behind his 20 in ORU's overtime win at Little Rock.
- ORU had 27 turnovers in the game, the most since giving it away 28 times against Northwestern State on February 7, 2013.
The Golden Eagles will finish their three game road swing at Minnesota Thursday night before taking a break for Christmas. When ORU returns from break the Golden Eagles will host Omaha December 30 to begin Summit League play.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).