Score: Southern Nazarene 68 – Oral Roberts 60
Record: SNU (7-1*) – ORU (2-9)
* Game counted as an exhibition for SNU
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team got a combined 25 points from its inside duo of Javan White and Albert Owens, but could not get past Southern Nazarene Friday night as the Crimson Storm earned the 68-60 victory at the Mabee Center.
White recorded his fourth straight double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds, while Owens led ORU's scoring effort with 14 points.
Micah Speight led all scorers with 21 points, while Quaylon Newton grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds.
After ORU used an early 7-0 spurt to take a five point lead, SNU responded with an 11-0 run of their own to go up six and they would not trail again.
Quote of the Game
"We had opportunities; you are plus-12 on the free throws, but unfortunately we missed 14 of them and lost by eight. We knew they were a good team and we knew what we were getting into, but unfortunately we didn't take advantage of the opportunities we had tonight." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
Oral Roberts: Owens led the scoring with 14 points, while White led the rebounding effort with his 11 boards. Kearns had four assists to just one turnover.
Southern Nazarene: Speight led all scorers with 21 points, going 7-14 from the field, while Newton had seven offensive rebounds and 12 total boards.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 32 percent (17-52) from the field and 31 percent (5-16) from 3-point range, but connected on just 60 percent (21-35) from the free throw line.
- SNU shot 41 percent from the field and 20 percent (5-25) from 3-point range, but connected on 19 of their 23 attempts (82 percent).
- SNU out-rebounded ORU 41-35, including 11 offensive rebounds, seven from Newton.
- After SNU grabbed its largest lead of the game at 13 (59-46), ORU held the Crimson Storm without a point for the next 4:45, but could not erase the deficit during that time.
News and Notes
- Javan White earned his fourth straight double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds. It is the longest streak of double-doubles since Damen Bell-Holter recorded six straight during the 2012-13 season.
- The 68 points given up by ORU was the second fewest this season after allowing just 66 in a double overtime win at Little Rock. It was the third time ORU has held an opponent under 70, having dropped a 69-64 decision against Montana.
- Friday marked ORU's first ever loss to Southern Nazarene, having won both previous meetings during the 1989-90 and 1990-91 seasons.
ORU will remain home on Sunday to take on Missouri State. The game will tip off at 3 p.m. and be televised locally on KGEB and worldwide through ESPN3.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).