Score: Oral Roberts 74 – Little Rock 66
Record: ORU (2-7) – Little Rock (2-6)
Location: Little Rock, Ark. (Jack Stephens Center)
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team played its second overtime game is less than a week, and out-scored Little Rock 10-2 in the second overtime to prevail Saturday afternoon as the Golden Eagles won 74-66 at the Jack Stephens Center.
Javan White dominated the boards with 20 rebounds, including four rebounds in the final two minutes of the second overtime period, and scored a career high 18 points on an 8-13 shooting effort. Albert Owens led the way offensively with 19 points as a quartet of Golden Eagles reached double figures. R.J. Fuqua scored 15 points for the third double digit scoring effort of his career and set a new career high. Emmanuel Nzekwesi added 10 points and seven rebounds.
Andre Jones scored 25 points for Little Rock, grabbing a team high nine rebounds as well.
Little Rock shot just 36 percent for the game, and ORU held a 53-42 rebounding advantage for the game.
After opening up a four-point lead to start the second overtime, Little Rock got a jumper from Anthony Black, the Trojans' only points in the period.
Quote of the Game
"We went back and looked at the film of the Oakland game and we could see the guys' body language. I thought tonight was much different. I saw guys get off the bench and they were clapping and they were excited about the opportunity. I thought we responded well because I thought we wanted to be there." – ORU Coach Paul Mills
Oral Roberts: Owens led ORU in scoring with 19 points, while White grabbed a game high 20 rebounds. Kearns matched his career best with seven assists.
Little Rock: Jones led Little Rock with 25 points and nine rebounds, while Jaizec Lottie dished out six assists. Anthony Black had four of the Trojans' five steals.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 42.6 percent (26-61) from the field and 27 percent (6-22) from 3-point range, despite going 0-6 from long range in the first half.
- Little Rock shot 36 percent (28-77) from the field and 13 percent (4-30) from 3-point range.
- Neither team shot free throws particularly well, but ORU got to the line more, shooting 16-28 while the Trojans were 6-11.
News and Notes
- ORU's defense held Little Rock to just 31 percent from the field and 18 points in the first half, the fewest since given up since Oregon State scored 18 in the first half in 2014.
- White's 20 rebounds were the most for a Golden Eagle since Damen Bell-Holter had 20 against Northwestern State on January 10, 2013. They were also the most by a Summit League player so far this year, topping the previous high of 16 grabbed by John Konchar and Daniel Amigo.
- White (18) and Fuqua (15) also set new career highs in scoring.
- Sam Kearns (seven), White (four) and Harris (three) set new watermarks in assists as well.
- ORU's 53 rebounds were the most in a game this season.
- Despite playing 10 extra minutes, ORU gave up just 66 points, the fewest in a game this season. The previous low was 69 to Montana November 20.
The Golden Eagles will finish a three-game road swing and stretch of eight of nine games away from home as ORU travels to UNLV Tuesday night.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).