Score: Penn State 86 – ORU 48
Records: PSU (6-1) – ORU (1-5)
Location: University Park, Pa. (Bryce Jordan Center)
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team fell behind early and couldn't recover on the road at Penn State, Friday, as the Golden Eagles fell 86-48 at the Bryce Jordan Center.
ORU shot just 33 percent for the game, but got at least two points from nine different players. Emmanuel Nzekwesi led ORU in scoring for the second game in a row with 11 points. He was also the leading rebounder for the Golden Eagles with six.
Penn State had four players score in double figures, led by Nazeer Bostick and Jamari Wheeler, who each had 14. Bostick led the rebounding effort with seven rebounds.
After an early timeout, Austin Ruder hit a three pointer to make it 6-3 before a 9-0 run by Penn State to grab a 15-3 lead less than four minutes into the game. The ORU deficit never got under 10 for the remainder of the game.
Quote of the Game
"Not having a true point guard obviously hurt. The two guys had playing point guard turned the ball over 11 times. Some of that was the position they were put in, but those things add up. Everyone all at once had a bad game and this is an environment against a Big 10 caliber team that you can't afford that." – ORU Coach Paul Mills
Oral Roberts: Nzekwesi led ORU in scoring (11) and rebounding (6). No Golden Eagle had more than two assists or two steals and Chris Miller had two of ORU's three blocks.
Penn State: Bostick and Wheeler each scored 14 points, while Tony Carr led PSU in assist with five. Wheeler had five of Penn State's 14 steals.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot just 33 percent (19-57) from the field for the game and 37.5 percent (6-16) from 3-point range. ORU got to the free throw line just seven times and hit four free throws.
- Penn State shot 56 percent (32-57) from the field and 45 percent (9-20) from 3-point range. The Nittany Lions hit 13 of 19 from the free throw line.
- 14 of ORU's 30 rebounds were offensive boards, but Penn State led the rebounding battle 38-30.
News and Notes
- Friday marked the first time ORU and Penn State had met on the hardwood.
- Harris scored his first points of the season and nearly matched his career high (11) as the junior scored nine points on Friday.
- The 48 points scored on Friday matched the season low from Oklahoma State.
- Spencer Sutton hit a 3-pointer against Penn State, his first triple of the season.
After five straight games away from home, the Golden Eagles will return to the Mabee Center Monday, November 27, to host former Mid-Con and Summit League rival Oakland.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).