TULSA, Okla. – After being named the new Oral Roberts men's basketball coach on April 28, 2017, Paul Mills added a pair of late signees in May, but put together his first full recruiting class this week, as three high school seniors signed their National Letters of Intent to play for the Golden Eagles. Included in the November class are Texas products Kennedy Milton (Dallas, Texas) and DeShang (D.J.) Weaver (Houston, Texas), as well as Carlos Jürgens from Estonia.
"This class is outstanding," said Mills. "They are each quality young men, have great families and support, and each bring a unique skill set to ORU basketball. The staff has done a wonderful job assembling a fantastic group of young men who will represent ORU in a first class way."
Kennedy Milton // 6-1 // 175 // Dallas, Texas // Lincoln HS
- Listed as the 14th-best player in Texas in the class of 2018 by TexasTop100.com
- Led his team to a 4A state championship as a sophomore in 2016
- Averaged 15.4 points, eight assists and 4.6 rebounds per game as a junior
- All-State Tournament selection in 2016
Head Coach Paul Mills on Milton
"Kennedy was the lead guard we wanted from this class since day one. His vision is exceptional, his speed is elite and his ability to run a team is impressive. He won a state championship in Texas as a sophomore and will have an opportunity to repeat that feat this upcoming season. He is an excellent student who is taking AP classes and a terrific young man. ORU fans will be excited to watch him play."
Carlos Jürgens // 6-3 // 175 // Tartu, Estonia // Audentes Sports Gymnasium
- Played in the Alexela Basketball Champions League, averaging more than 28 minutes to playing time
- Finished fourth place in the men's premier league
- Was the high scorer back-to-back seasons in the European Youth Basketball League during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons
- A four time Estonian Champion with Erkmaa Basketball School (2008-13) and was the winner of the Youth Cup in Moscow in 2008.
Head Coach Paul Mills on Jürgens
"Carlos is from Estonia and came over to the U.S. this summer for some AAU events and was extremely impressive. He has size, shooting tough and a strong desire to get better. His ability to stretch defenses because of his elite shooting will add an extra dimension to our team. Carlos also has good ball handling skills and can make plays for other people as well.
DeShang (D.J.) Weaver // 6-8 // 190 // Houston, Texas // Cypress Falls HS
- Won a Class 6A State Championship with Cypress Falls HS
- Had scholarship offers from Arkansas, Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU and Others
- Considered as high as a top-10 prospect in the state of Texas by 247Sports
- Ranked as the 20th best player in Texas by ESPN.com
- Had a 6-11 wingspan and a 8-9 standing reach as measured at the 2014 USA Junior National Team Mini Camp
Head Coach Paul Mills on Weaver
"I've known about D.J. for many years and he is a remarkable person. At 6-8, he has terrific skills on the perimeter, can consistently make shots from 3-point range and has a motor that is always running. He, like Kennedy, won a state championship in Texas and will be in a position to repeat as a state title winner. D.J. will give ORU fans a lot to cheer about during his time here. He is advanced academically and will enhance the student body on account of his bright mind and commitment to integrity."
Mills and the current Golden Eagle men's basketball team take to the court to start the season Friday as ORU hosts Avila for the homecoming game at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go towww.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the Golden Eagles by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.
--- #ORURiseUp ---