Score: Oral Roberts 74 – IUPUI 68
Records: ORU (8-19, 4-9) – IUPUI (11-15, 5-7)
Location: Indianapolis, Ind. (Farmers Coliseum)
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team used strong defense and solid free throw shooting to earn a 74-68 victory over IUPUI Saturday night at the Indianapolis Farmers Coliseum.
ORU got double figures from four different players, including 18 from Aaron Anderson who was 5-8 from the field and 7-8 from the free throw line. Kris Martin and Albert Owens each had 16 points while Jalen Bradley added 13.
IUPUI was led by Darell Combs' 18 points while Aaron Brennan scored 14 and Kellon Thomas chipped in 13.
ORU shot 52 percent from the field and out-rebounded IUPUI 31-25, and the Golden Eagles hit 16-17 from the free throw line in the win.
Quote of the Game
"Our guys hung tough. They kept talking in the huddle about being tough and staying together and I thought they did a great job staying together. On the road you are going to face some adversity and I thought our guys stuck together. I told the guys, it is only one, but if we play like that we can win the rest of them." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
After IUPUI cut a 13-point lead down to five, Owens made a strong move underneath to push it back to seven at 69-64. ORU went 5-6 from the free throw line in the final two minutes to secure the victory.
Oral Roberts: Anderson scored 13 first-half points and led the way with 18 points for the game. Anderson and Martin each grabbed six rebounds to lead the way and the duo led ORU in assists as well with four helpers each.
IUPUI: Combs scored 18 points. No IUPUI player had more than four rebounds or three assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 52 percent (25-48) from the field in the win, the first time since a win at Omaha in which the Golden Eagles have hit more than half their shots.
- In addition to shooting well inside, ORU connected on 53 percent (8-15) from 3-point range and was 16-17 (94 percent) from the free throw line.
- IUPUI shot 44 percent (25-57) from the field but just 37 percent (9-24) from 3-point range. After going 0-5 from the free throw line in the first half, IUPUI hit their final nine free throws to finish the game 9-14 (64 percent).
- ORU out-rebounded the Jaguars the 31-25, he first time since Fort Wayne January 28 in which ORU has won the rebounding battle.
News and Notes
- ORU used its sixth different starting lineup of the season as Chris Miller made the first start of his career.
- ORU finished the first half on a 14-2 run to take an 11-point lead at the break, thanks to Anderson's 13 first half points.
- The Golden Eagles are 6-5 when winning the rebounding battle this season.
- With Martin and Owens both coming off the bench, ORU dominated the bench points 37-17.
- ORU led by as many as 13 in the game and held the lead for nearly 33 minutes.
- The Golden Eagles have won 11 of the last 12 against IUPUI and have not lost in Indianapolis since the 2009-10 season.
- After going nine straight games giving up 80 or more points, ORU has held three straight opponents under that mark, including the last two under 70.
ORU will remain on the road next week as the Golden Eagles travel to Omaha (Feb. 16) and South Dakota (Feb. 18).
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.