Score: Denver 93 – Oral Roberts 69
Records: DU (14-9, 6-4) – ORU (7-17, 3-7)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – Aaron Anderson scored a career high 21 points to lead a cast of four double-figure scorers for the Oral Roberts men's basketball team, but it wasn't enough as Denver caught fire in the second half of a 93-69 Denver win.
Anderson's 21 points came less than two weeks after notching his first career 20-point game against South Dakota. Along with Anderson, Emmanuel Nzekwesi helped carry the load offensively early and the freshman forward finished the game with 15 points and a game-high eight rebounds. Kris Martin poured in 14 points with 12 coming in the second half and Jalen Bradley added 10 points.
Daniel Amigo and Jake Pemberton each scored 20 to lead the Pioneers, who scored 59 points and shot 72 percent (21-29) in the second half. Joe Rosga had six assists as the Pioneers tallied 20 assists on 33 made baskets.
Quote of the Game
"I think you kind of saw tonight how our season has been. For the first 17 minutes I thought we played really well. We defended about as well as we have in a long time and then a little adversity hit and the last 22 minutes was about as bad as could play defensively." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
After being down seven, a Bradley 3-pointer tied the game at 54-54 with 10:15 to play, but Denver responded with a 7-0 run of their own and ORU was never able to recover.
Oral Roberts: Anderson led ORU in scoring for the first time in his career with 21 points and also had a team-high four assists. Nzekwesi had eight of the team's 26 rebounds and Bradley earned three steals.
Denver: Amigo and Pemberton each scored 20 while Rosga had seven rebounds and six assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 43 percent (23-53) for the game, but hit just 25 percent (5-20) from 3-point range. The Golden Eagles were 18-25 (72 percent) from the free throw line.
- Denver shot 59 percent (33-56) for the game including the sizzling 72 percent (21-29) mark in the second half. The Pioneers hit 69 percent (11-16) from 3-point range and 73 percent (16-22) from the free throw line.
- Denver led the rebounding battle 36-26 and out-scored ORU 30-26 in the paint.
News and Notes
- ORU never trailed in the first half and led by as many as 10 but Denver closed the half on an 11-2 run including a banked-in 3-pointer at the buzzer.
- For the first time this season, Albert Owens came off the bench for the Golden Eagles, snapping his team-longest streak of 24 straight starts.
- Owens' streak of eight straight 20-point performances also came to an end as the junior scored seven points off the bench.
ORU will hit the road Saturday as the Golden Eagles travel to South Dakota State for a 7 p.m. contest at Frost Arena.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.