Score: Fort Wayne 87 – Oral Roberts 83
Records: FW (16-7, 5-4) – ORU (7-16, 3-6)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team erased an 11-point deficit and took the lead with 1:19 to play, but Fort Wayne went 6-6 from the free throw line in the final minute to clip the Golden Eagles at the end.
As he has done for eight straight games, Albert Owens scored 20 points and led ORU offensively. Owens led a cast of five double-figure scorers for ORU, with Jalen Bradley adding 17 and Aaron Anderson chipping in 16. Emmanuel Nzekwesi scored 12 and Aaron Young scored 10 off the bench.
Fort Wayne was led by Brent Calhoun who scored 19, while Bryson Scott added 16. John Konchar scored 13 and grabbed 14 rebounds, helping the Mastodons to a 39-26 rebounding advantage.
Quote of the Game
"It was pretty remarkable that we even had a shot to win, we played so poorly for most of the game. I was pleased our guys fought back and we put ourselves in a position to win. Then you have to make winning plays on defense and obviously on the offensive end and their guys did it and we didn't." – Coach Scott Sutton
After seven straight ORU points, all by Bradley, ORU took an 80-79 lead with 1:19 to play. Fort Wayne scored the next six points and the Golden Eagles could not catch back up.
Oral Roberts: Owens scored 20 points, while Kris Martin and Bradley led the team with five rebounds each. Anderson dished out six of the team's 16 assists.
Fort Wayne: Calhoun scored 19 points while Konchar led the Mastodons in rebounds (14) and assists (six).
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 46 percent (26-57) for the game from the field and connected on 42 percent (8-19) from 3-point range.
- The Golden Eagles shot 72 percent (23-32) from the free throw line, the lowest percentage since hitting 66 percent (12-18) against Western Illinois January 7. ORU has been over 80 percent in the previous five games.
- Fort Wayne shot 55 percent (35-63) for the game after a sizzling 60 percent (20-33) in the first half. After hitting 20 3-pointers in the first meeting between the two teams, the Mastodons connected on just 28 percent (6-21) from long range on Saturday.
- ORU was out-rebounded 39-26, snapping a three game streak in which the Golden Eagles out-rebounded their opponent.
News and Notes
- Owens is second in the Summit League with 11 20-point games, but has the longest active streak at eight games.
- ORU's second leading scorer on the season, Martin was held scoreless for just the third time this season with two of the three coming against Fort Wayne.
The Golden Eagles will play their third game in six days Tuesday as ORU hosts Denver at the Mabee Center for a 7 p.m. tip off.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.