Score: North Dakota State 81 – Oral Roberts 71
Records: NDSU (15-6, 7-1) – ORU (7-15, 3-5)
Location: Fargo, N.D. (Scheels Center)
FARGO, N.D. – North Dakota State made 19-21 free throws in the second half to get past the Oral Roberts men's basketball team and the Scheels Center Wednesday evening. ORU closed the first half on a 15-0 run to take a 41-32 lead into the locker room but NDSU finished the game on a 6-0 run to hold off the Golden Eagles.
Albert Owens matched his career highs in both points (28) and rebounds (9) to lead ORU in both categories. Jalen Bradley led the Golden Eagles in assists with four while Kris Martin dished out three assists.
NDSU got 19 points off the bench from Dexter Werner, all coming in the second half. Tyson Ward grabbed eight rebounds to lead the Bison.
ORU out-rebounded NDSU 36-32 in the game and held a 28-22 advantage in the paint.
Quote of the Game
"We ended the first half playing about as well as we could play. I thought we competed and played hard, but we didn't play particularly smart in the second half and we missed a lot of easy baskets. One or two plays in a game like this can be the difference." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
Tied 62-62 after an Owens layup, NDSU scored four straight to go up 68-64 with 4:14 to play and would not relinquish the lead.
Oral Roberts: Owens led ORU in both scoring (28) and rebounding (nine), matching his career high in both categories.
North Dakota State: Werner scored 19 points while Ward grabbed a team-high eight rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 47 percent (28-59) from the field for the game and 39 percent (7-18) from 3-point range.
- The Golden Eagles connected on 8-10 (80-percent) from the free throw line for the game.
- NDSU shot 43 percent (25-58) from the field and 43 percent (10-23) from 3-point range.
- The Bison high 21 free throws on 24 attempts (87 percent) for the game, with 21 free throw attempts in the second half alone.
News and Notes
- Capped by an Aaron Young 3-pointer from the corner with 10 seconds to go in the half, ORU finished the opening frame on a 15-0 run over the final 4:53 of the half.
- The 15-0 run is the second longest of the season for ORU, trailing only the 16-straight scored in a win over South Dakota.
- Owens now has seven straight 20-point games, including back-to-back 28 point performances. He is now averaging 22.6 points per game in Summit League play.
- ORU gave up a halftime lead for the first time (6-1) this season.
ORU will return home Saturday to face Fort Wayne at 3 p.m. and then remain in town to face Denver Tuesday night at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.