Score: IUPUI 91 – Oral Roberts 85
Records: IUPUI (8-11, 2-3 SL) – ORU (5-14, 1-4 SL)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – Down 11 with six minutes to play, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team charged back and made it a one-point game with 32 seconds to play but couldn't complete the comeback against IUPUI Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
During halftime of the contest ORU honored its four newest members of the Hall of Fame; Tyler Saladino (baseball), Sam McCants (men's basketball), Faithy Kamangila (cross country) and Charleton Dechert (men's golf).
Kris Martin led the ORU attack with 25 points while Albert Owens fought through a double team all afternoon to score 21. Aaron Anderson (5) and Jalen Bradley (4) combined to dish out nine of ORU's 17 assists. Owens once again narrowly missed a double-double with nine rebounds, matching his career high and marking the sixth time in his career with nine boards.
D.J. McCall led the Jaguars with 21 points on an 8-12 shooting effort as the Jaguars shot 55 percent (34-62) for the game, including 66 percent (22-33) in the first half. Evan Hall had eight rebounds to help IUPUI to a 36-25 rebounding advantage.
Quote of the Game
"Give IUPUI credit, they outplayed us and deserved to win. We waited 36 minutes to start playing desperate basketball and it was too late. They beat us to loose balls and beat us offensive rebounding. It amazes me that we spend so much time in practice working on our defense and we show them on film and there is no carryover." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
Martin drew the foul and hit a pair of free throws to make it a one point game with 36 seconds to play. IUPUI went 7-8 from the free throw line from that point on to hold off the ORU charge.
Oral Roberts: Martin (25) and Owens (21) led the way offensively while Owens grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
IUPUI: McCall's 21 points led the way for the Jaguars while Hall grabbed eight rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 50 percent (30-60) from the field and 53 percent (9-17) from 3-point range.
- For the second game in a row or shot better than 90 percent from the free throw line. ORU is 39-41 from the charity stripe in the last two games.
- IUPUI connected on 55 percent (34-62) from the field and 50 percent (11-22) from 3-point range. The Jaguars shot 12-18 from the free throw line.
- IUPUI held a 36-25 advantage on the boards and turned it into a 16-11 edge in second chance points.
News and Notes
- ORU has shot 50 percent or better three times this season but done so each of the last two games.
- Owens has now scored at least 20 points in four straight games and is averaging 20.8 points per game in Summit League play.
- ORU had won four in a row inside the Mabee Center until Saturday's loss.
ORU will remain at home next week as the Golden Eagles host South Dakota on Wednesday, January 18 and then host Omaha Saturday, January 21.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.