Score: Oral Roberts 94 – South Dakota State 88
Records: ORU (5-13, 1-3) – SDSU (8-12, 1-4)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team went 11-12 from the free throw line in the final 1:26 of the game to earn a 94-88 victory over South Dakota State Thursday night at the Mabee Center. A tie game at 83-83 with less than two minutes to go, ORU out-scored SDSU 11-2 until a desperation 3-pointer with three seconds remaining once the Golden Eagles had the game in hand.
ORU had a pair of 20-point scorers in Albert Owens (24 points) and Kris Martin (20 points). The duo combined to go 15-25 from the field and 11-11 from the free throw line. All five ORU starters finished the game in double figures for the first time since doing so against Tabor November 25, 2015. The Golden Eagles out-rebounded SDSU 33-32 with 12 offensive rebounds. Aaron Anderson had seven assists, Jalen Bradley added six assists and Martin had five helpers as the Golden Eagles had a season high 23 assists.
Mike Daum led SDSU with 32 points on a 14-25 shooting effort, while the Jackrabbits had four players in double figures.
Quote of the Game
"I'll take any win we can get right now and it doesn't matter how we got it. It was important to come back after a tough road stretch and protect our home court, especially with what we have coming up. We did a lot of good things offensively, we took care of the basketball, we offensive rebounded pretty well." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
Tied 83-83 with 1:54 to play, ORU went on a 7-0 run with all seven points coming from the free throw line, giving ORU a 90-83 lead with 38 seconds to play.
Oral Roberts: Owens scored 24 points and had nine rebounds, while Anderson had a team-high seven assists, matching his career high.
South Dakota State: Daum led the scoring with 32 points while Chris Howell had a team-high seven boards for the Jackrabbits. Howell and Michael Orris each had five assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 50 percent (32-64) from the field but just 32 percent (7-22) from 3-point range. The Golden Eagles connected on 96 percent (23-24) from the free throw line.
- SDSU shot 64 percent in the first half but cooled in the second to shoot 52 percent (34-65) for the game and 38 percent (12-32). The Jackrabbits hit 66 percent (8-12) from the free throw line.
- ORU held a 33-32 advantage in rebounds and a 14-13 edge in second chance points.
- The Golden Eagles led for 28:23 of the game including 19 minutes in the second half.
News and Notes
- ORU scored 50 points in the first half to take a 50-49 lead into the locker room. It was ORU's first 50 point first half since dropping 53 against Tabor November 25, 2015.
- The Golden Eagles are now 5-0 this season when leading at halftime.
- For the first time this season, ORU was victorious (1-3) when two Golden Eagles top the 20-point mark.
- ORU defended its home court, moving to 5-1 at home, having led for at least 25 minutes in each of the five wins.
- ORU went 11-12 from the free throw line inside the last two minutes of the game. ORU is shooting 82 percent (27-33) inside the final minute of the game this season.
The Golden Eagles will remain at home Saturday as ORU hosts IUPUI for Hall of Fame night at the Mabee Center. New inductees Faithy Kamangila (cross country/track), Sam McCants (men's basketball), Tyler Saladino (baseball) and Charleton Dechert (men's golf) will be honored at halftime of the contest that will tip off at 3 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.