Score: Western Illinois 86 – Oral Roberts 71
Records: WIU (6-9, 3-1) – ORU (4-13, 0-3)
Location: Macomb, Ill. (Western Hall)
MACOMB, Ill. – Despite a pair of 20-point scorers, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team fell on the road Saturday afternoon as Western Illinois got 34 points from Garret Covington in an 86-71 decision at Western Hall.
In addition to 34 points from Covington, Mike Miklusak scored 18 points for the Leathernecks. Brandon Gilbeck notched a double-double for WIU with 10 points and 13 rebounds.
Down to an eight point deficit with four minutes to play, Covington and Miklusak scored five straight for the Leathernecks to make it a 13 point game with 3:03 to play and ORU was unable to get it back to single digits the rest of the game.
Oral Roberts: Owens scored 22 points while Martin added 21. Jalen Bradley and Anderson each dished out three assists and Harris led the rebounding effort with eight rebounds while Anderson grabbed seven.
Western Illinois: Covington hit 12 of his 16 shots en route to 34 points. Delo Bruster had seven assists and Gilbeck added a team-high 13 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 42 percent (27-64) from the field but connected on 26 percent (5-19) from 3-point range, though many of the attempts came late in the game when the Golden Eagles were trying to catch up.
- WIU shot 49 percent (31-63) for the game and 48 percent (12-25) from 3-point range, with six of the 12 makes coming from Covington.
- WIU held a 39-35 advantage in rebounding and a 10-2 edge in points off turnovers.
- With Owens inside, ORU out-scored WIU 30-22 in the paint.
News and Notes
- Owens posted his sixth 20-point game of the year and his second in a row after scoring a career high 26 at Fort Wayne last weekend.
- Martin topped 20 points for the third time this season.
- Saturday was the third time this season in which ORU has had two 20-point scorers having done so at Fort Wayne and against Ole Miss.
After starting Summit League play with three consecutive road games, the Golden Eagles will return to the Mabee Center for four straight contests and will have six of the next seven games at home. The first game in the homestand will be Thursday, January 12, as ORU hosts South Dakota State at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.