Score: Fort Wayne 102 – ORU 91
Records: FW (11-4, 1-1) – ORU (4-12, 0-2)
Location: Fort Wayne, Ind. (Gates Sports Complex)
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team out-scored Fort Wayne 28-16 in the final seven minutes of the game but could not overcome the 3-point shooting of the Mastodons in a 102-91 loss Saturday afternoon at the Gates Center.
Fort Wayne set an ORU opponent record with 20 made 3-pointers, doing so with a 57 percent shooting clip from long range. The previous record was 16, held by Louisville (1993) and Oklahoma (2015).
ORU got career offensive performances from Jalen Bradley (28 points) and Albert Owens (26), while Aaron Anderson dished out a career high seven assists in the loss. Led by Bradley and Owens, who each had seven rebounds, the Golden Eagles won the rebounding battle 37-34.
Fort Wayne got 21 points from Bryson Scott, who was 5-9 from 3-point range to lead a cast of five double-figure scorers.
Quote of the Game
"It is a great shooting gym, but put a lot of the blame on us for not getting out and defending the 3-point shot. They hit some tough ones, but 3-point shooting is contagious and that's kind of what happened and they built a comfortable lead and didn't have any pressure on them. We dug ourselves another huge hole and I was pleased that our guys did not give up. I thought they showed some fight there in the second half and if we had taken care of the ball a little better, who knows how close we could have gotten." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
ORU put together a 9-0 run in the second half to cut the deficit to 14, but a timeout from Fort Wayne led to back-to-back 3-pointers from the Mastodons to swell the lead back to 20 with 4:59 to play.
Oral Roberts: Bradley and Owens led the scoring and rebounding efforts with 28 and 26 points respectively to go with each of their seven rebounds.
Fort Wayne: Scott scored 21 points and a team-high six assists, while John Konchar had 11 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 49 percent (32-65) for the game and 38 percent (8-21) from 3-point range.
- Fort Wayne shot 53 percent (38-72) from the field including a 57 percent mark (20-35) from long range.
- ORU out-shot Fort Wayne at the free throw line 19-22 to 6-9.
- The Golden Eagles held a 37-34 edge in rebounding, which led to an 18-12 advantage in second chance points.
- ORU also dominated the paint to a 40-32 scoring advantage inside, and led the fast-break points 11-7.
News and Notes
- For the second time this season (Ole Miss), ORU posted a pair of 20-point scorers in Bradley (28) and Owens (26), who each notched a new career high.
- ORU out-scored Fort Wayne 28-16 down the stretch but could not overcome the early deficit.
- The 20 3-pointers from Fort Wayne is an ORU opponent record, topping the 16 made by Louisville (1993) and Oklahoma (2015).
- ORU scored 52 points in the second half, the first time to top the 50 point mark in the second half since scoring 60 against Omaha February 26, 2016.
ORU will have a week off before finishing out the three-game road swing to start Summit League play as the Golden Eagles travel to Western Illinois January 7.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.