Score: Oral Roberts 63 – Little Rock 48
Records: ORU (3-10) – Little Rock (9-3)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – A dominant defensive performance led the Oral Roberts men's basketball team to a 63-48 victory over Little Rock Monday night at the Mabee Center.
Over the last three halves of basketball, the Golden Eagles have given up an average of just 23 points per half, and held the a team below 50 points for the first time since giving up 42 to Haskell December 28, 2014. ORU also held the Trojans without a 3-pointer (0-15), the first time since December 3, 2011 against Southern Utah in which an ORU opponent failed to connect from long range.
Jalen Bradley led the way for ORU with 14 points while Aaron Anderson added 12 points, eight rebounds, four assists and no turnovers, and held Little Rock's leading scorer Marcus Johnson to just four points, 11 below his season average. Kris Martin led the ORU rebounding effort with a career high nine rebounds.
Maurius Hill led the Trojans with 13 points while Jalen Jackson scored 12. Lis Shoshi grabbed 14 of the Trojan's 39 rebounds.
After getting fouled on a 3-pointer, Bradley hit all three free throws to finish off the third 8-0 run of the game for ORU, turning a four point game to a 48-36 ORU lead, its largest of the game to that point.
Oral Roberts: Thanks to a perfect 5-5 effort from the free throw line, Bradley led the ORU offense with 14 points. Martin led the rebounding effort with nine while Martin, Bradley and Anderson each had four assists.
Little Rock: Hill was 4-10 from the field but led the Trojans with 13 points, while Shoshi grabbed 14 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 37 percent (21-56) from the field and 36.8 percent (7-19) from 3-point range. The Golden Eagles hit 77.8 percent (14-18) from the free throw line.
- Little Rock shot just 34 percent (20-58) for the game and was 0-15 from long range. The Trojans hit 8-11 from the free throw line.
- ORU led by as many as 16 in the game and led for 32:04 of the contest. ORU has led for at least 16 minutes in all four home games, and has led for more than 30 minutes in each of the three home wins.
News and Notes
- ORU used two separate 8-0 runs in the first half to get some distance from Little Rock, taking a lead into halftime for just the third time this season.
- For the second game in a row and the third time in four games, the ORU bench outscored its opponent. Darian Harris' eight points, which included a career high five free throws, led the trio of Golden Eagles who came off the bench.
- The 48 points given up were the fewest since allowing just 42 against Haskell on December 28, 2014.
- ORU has given up an average of 23 points per half dating back to the second half against No. 10 Creighton Saturday night.
- The Golden Eagles are now 3-0 this season when leading at halftime. Monday, ORU held a 27-21 advantage going into the locker room.
- For the first time since December 3, 2011, ORU did not allow a 3-pointer after Little Rock went 0-15 from long range. On the other side, ORU has now hit at least one triple in 132 consecutive games.
- ORU matched its career high with 11 steals having also swiped 11 steals against Rogers State.
The Golden Eagles will host Richmond Friday afternoon at 3 p.m. in the final nonconference game of the regular season. ORU will then take a break for Christmas before beginning Summit League play December 28 at Denver.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.