Score: Missouri State 86 – Oral Roberts 76
Records: MSU (6-3) – ORU (2-9)
Location: Springfield, Mo. (JQH Arena)
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Kris Martin lit up the scoreboard to the tune of 35 points Wednesday night at JQH Arena and the Oral Roberts men's basketball team came back from double-digit deficits in both halves, but could not steal the road win at Missouri State, falling 86-76.
Martin became the first Golden Eagle in 11 months to score at least 30 points and did so on a 13-22 shooting effort including 7-14 from 3-point range. The sophomore is shooting 49 percent for the season from long distance. Chris Miller and Aaron Anderson each grabbed five rebounds to lead ORU, despite both finding themselves in foul trouble. Jalen Bradley dished out five of the team's 15 assists and was a perfect 6-6 from the free throw line en route to 17 points.
Alize Johnson led the Bears with 20 points and 16 rebounds, including 10 offensive rebounds. Dequon Miller earned seven assists.
Quote of the Game
"This was a game that we had a great opportunity to win. I am extremely disappointed. We did enough good things that if we just rebound a little bit better, we win the game. Kris Martin was terrific. I thought at times our defense was better, it was just our second-chance defense. We cut the lead to one and we missed three straight shots that you have to make if you expect to win." – Coach Scott Sutton
Martin's four-point play with 6:23 to play made it a one point game, but Missouri State scored 12 of the game's next 14 points to stretch the lead back to 10 with under a minute to go. The Bears had five offensive rebounds in that stretch alone.
Oral Roberts: Martin led all scorers with a career high 35 points. Anderson and Miller each grabbed five rebounds and Bradley led the way with five assists.
Missouri State: Johnson led the Bears in points (20) and rebounds (16).
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 45.9 percent (28-61) for the game and 37.5 percent (9-24) from 3-point range. It was the fourth game in the last five in which ORU has shot better than 42 percent from the field and the highest percentage against a Division I opponent since shooting 47 percent against Ole Miss.
- Missouri State finished the game 44.6 percent (33-74) from the field and 33 percent (7-21) from 3-point range.
- MSU grabbed 25 offensive rebounds and out-rebounded ORU 46-31 for the game.
News and Notes
- Down as many as 12 in the first half at 31-19, ORU crept back in the game and despite never scoring more than five straight points, trailed just 42-40 at the break.
- ORU continued momentum from scoring the final four points of the first half and scored the first five of the second half to take its first lead of the game after a 9-0 spurt.
- MSU left the door open for the Golden Eagles late with missed free throws, shooting just 46 percent (13-28) for the game, but offensive rebounds kept ORU at arm's length.
- Martin became the first Golden Eagle to score 30 points since Obi Emegano did so against Western Illinois on January 16, 2016.
- Bradley had five helpers on Wednesday, his seventh game this year with at least five assists.
The Golden Eagles will be at No. 10 Creighton Saturday, December 17 at 7 p.m. That game will be televised on FS2.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.