Score: Oral Roberts 95 – John Brown 63
Records: ORU (2-8) – JBU (9-4)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – Paired with a solid defensive effort, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team put together multiple extended scoring runs throughout the game and cruised to a 95-63 victory over John Brown Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center. ORU was on point on both sides of the ball, scoring a season high 95 points while allowing just 63 points, the fewest scored by an opponent this year.
All 11 players who suited up for ORU scored a field goal in the game, with five Golden Eagles reaching double figures. Kris Martin (17) and Jalen Bradley (15) led the way, but Chris Miller (12) and Jontray Harris (11) each set career highs, each reaching double figures for the first time this season. Albert Owens chipped in 14 points on a 7-8 shooting effort from the field.
Ricky Roberts scored 13 points to lead John Brown, also grabbing a team-high four rebounds and matching Zach English with a team-high three assists.
Quote of the Game
"I thought we shared the basketball, we moved without the basketball and didn't get selfish. We had 21 assists and obviously shot the ball well. It was good to get some of these younger guys some extended minutes and for them to play well, mainly Jontray (Harris) and Chris Miller. We are going to need those guys the rest of the season." – Coach Scott Sutton
After a 13-5 ORU lead was cut to four at 19-15, ORU mounted its largest run of the season, scoring 12 straight points, to blow the game open with 5 minutes to go in the first half taking a 31-15 lead.
Oral Roberts: Martin and Bradley led the offense with 17 and 15 points, respectively, while Emmanuel Nzekwesi led the ORU rebounding effort with six boards. Martin dished out five assists.
John Brown: Roberts led JBU in scoring, rebounding and assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 61.5 percent (40-65) from the field and 60 percent (15-25) from 3-point range.
- JBU connected on 39 percent (23-59) from the field and 38 percent (12-31) from 3-point range.
- As well as ORU shot the ball all night, the Golden Eagles missed all four free throw attempts in the game.
- For the first time during the regular season, ORU's bench out-scored the opponent, 35-19.
News and Notes
- The 13-0 run in the second half was the longest run of the season for ORU. ORU had runs of 9-0, 12-0, 11-0 and 13-0 in the game.
- The 15 3-pointers by ORU are the most since hitting 15 against Detroit November 28, 2015.
- ORU had five players scored in double figures for the first time since doing so against Norht Dakota State January 9, 2016.
- Jontray Harris and Miller each recorded their first double-digit scoring effort of the season. Harris also grabbed a season high five rebounds.
- Martin set a career high with five assists while Darian Harris matched his career high with four assists.
ORU is back on the road for a pair of games next week beginning with a trip to Missouri State on Wednesday at 7 p.m. on ESPN3.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.