Score: Loyola 78 – Oral Roberts 53
Records: Loyola (4-1) – ORU (1-3)
Location: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (UVI Sports and Fitness Center)
ST. THOMAS, V.I. – A fast start from Loyola was too much for the Oral Roberts men's basketball team as the Golden Eagles fell 78-53 Saturday afternoon in the consolation bracket of the 2016 Paradise Jam.
Kris Martin was ORU's lone double-figure scorer as the sophomore went 5-10 from the field for 12 points. Emmanuel Nzekwesi narrowly missed his third double-figure rebounding effort of the year as he grabbed nine boards.
Kansas transfer Milton Doyle led the Ramblers with 14 points including a 3-3 mark from 3-point range.
Loyola started the game on a 17-5 run and the Golden Eagles could never full make up the difference.
Oral Roberts: ORU got 12 points from Martin and nine rebounds from Nzekwesi.
Loyola: The Ramblers were led by Milton Doyle's 14 points but had four players reach double figures. Doyla also led the rebounding effort with six boards.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot just 36 percent (20-56) from the field and 30 percent (6-20) from 3-point range.
- Loyola hit 54 percent (31-57) from the field and 48 percent (11-23) from 3-point range.
- ORU had a total of 18 turnovers and that led to a 24-9 advantage in points off turnovers for the Ramblers.
News and Notes
- Saturday was the second time this season in which only one Golden Eagle has reached double figures after Nzekwesi scored 15 against Baylor. In the other two games—Rogers State and Ole Miss—ORU has had two 20-point scorers.
- ORU used its fourth different starting lineup in as many games to start the 2016-17 season.
- ORU has surrendered 10 or more 3-pointers in three of the first four games of the season.
- Loyola was the first team since Omaha on February 26, 2016 to hit better than 50 percent from beyond the arc against the Golden Eagles.
ORU will play for seventh place on Monday, November 21 at 11:30 a.m. (CT) against the loser of the Montana, Washington State game.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.