Score: Ole Miss 95 – ORU 88 (OT)
Records: Ole Miss (3-0) – ORU (1-2)
Location: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (UVI Sports and Fitness Center)
ST. THOMAS, V.I. – It took an enormous effort from Ole Miss's Deandre Burnett to top the Oral Roberts men's basketball team Friday in the first round of the Paradise Jam. For the second game in a row, ORU had a pair of 20-point scorers, but Burnett scored 41 to lead Ole Miss to the 95-88 overtime victory.
Albert Owens (22 points) and Emmanuel Nzekwesi (20 points) each set new scoring career highs and combined to go 15-25 from the field in the game to lead the Golden Eagles. Nzekwesi earned the first double-double of the season for ORU adding 14 rebounds, while Jalen Bradley dished out six assists for the second time this season.
Burnet finished the game 12-19 from the field and 9-12 from 3-point range en route to his 41 point performance. Marcanvis Hymon grabbed 11 rebounds to lead the Rebels.
Up five with less than a minute to go in regulation, ORU had a look at the basket but a floater fell short and Ole Miss scored the final five points of the period and the first five of overtime.
Oral Roberts: Owens led the Golden Eagles in scoring with a career high 22 points while Nzekwesi grabbed double-digit rebounds for the second game in a row with 14 boards.
Ole Miss: Burnett scored 41 points and Hymon grabbed 11 rebounds to lead the Rebels.
Inside the Box Score
- Despite coming up on the short end of the scoreboard, ORU shot a better percentage from the field, from the 3-point line and from the free throw line.
- ORU finished the game 31-65 (47 percent) from the field, 11-19 (58 percent) from 3-point range and 15-16 (94 percent) from the free throw line.
- Ole Miss shot 32-69 (46 percent) from the field, 12-26 (46 percent) from 3-point range and 19-27 (70 percent) from the free throw line.
- ORU was hit with 17 turnovers, while forcing 16 Rebel giveaways.
- Ole Miss held a 40-33 advantage on the boards, and out-scored ORU 14-2 in second chance points.
- For the first time this season, ORU was out-scored in the paint, 36-30.
News and Notes
- Friday was the first overtime game for the Golden Eagles since beating FIU in overtime during last year's Men Against Breast Cancer Classic. ORU is now 39-40 all-time in overtime, including a 4-5 mark on a neutral court.
- ORU had at least one block in all but game last year, but went the first two games without one. Kris Martin recorded the first block of the year for the Golden Eagles.
- Martin saw his first action of the season and scored 15 points on a 4-6 effort from 3-point range, with all 15 points coming after halftime.
- ORU set new season highs as a team in points (88), field goals (33), 3-pointers (11), assists (19) and steals (7).
ORU will turn around and play Loyola Saturday at 4:30 p.m. after the Ramblers fell to St. Joseph's in the opening round. The game will be live streamed through FloSports.com.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.