Score: Oral Roberts 82 – Southeastern Oklahoma State 75
Location: Mabee Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team scored the final 10 points of the first half and topped Southeastern Oklahoma State 82-75 in an exhibition game Wednesday night at the Mabee Center.
Albert Owens scored a game high 25 points, including 18 in the second half, and had three of the team's five blocks. Owens, along with Emmanuel Nzekwesi, led ORU to a 35-32 rebounding edge with six boards each.
Southeastern was led by Anton Cook who scored 23 points and also got 20 and a team high seven rebounds from Tyler Lonzie.
Up 32-29 with 4:37 to play, ORU mounted a huge run, including five points from Dezmond McDaniel, and opened up a 46-31 lead at halftime.
Quote of the Game
"This was probably a typical exhibition game. I really thought we'd play better than we did, especially on the defensive end. We are much better than we showed tonight. That's why you play these games. It is a learning process and we will get better from it. I thought our young guys played well. Chris Miller and Dezmond McDaniel both played well." – Coach Scott Sutton
Oral Roberts: Albert Owens had 25 points, including a 7-8 mark from the free throw line, to lead all scorers. Owens and Emmanuel Nzekwesi each had six rebounds, while Jalen Bradley and Aaron Anderson combined for eight of the team's 16 rebounds, dishing out four apiece.
Southeastern: Anton Cook scored 23 and Tyler Lonzie scored 20 and grabbed seven rebounds. Marti Fonolla dished out six assists to lead the Savage Storm.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU ended the first half on a 14-2 run and scored the final 10 points of the half, including a tip-in from Albert Owens at the buzzer.
- ORU shot 49 percent (30-61) for the game from the field and 50 percent (8-16) from 3-point range.
- Southeastern finished the game at 50 percent (32-64) from the field but hit just 23.5 percent (4-17) from 3-point range.
- ORU dominated the fast break points 13-4 and the Golden Eagle bench out-scored Southeastern's bench 29-9.
News and Notes
- ORU is now 29-0 in exhibition games dating back to the 2002-03 season.
- Of the nine players who saw more than five minutes in the game, eight of them scored at least five points.
- ORU made eight 3-pointers in the game, the most since hitting 10 against IUPUI on January 14 of last season.
ORU will have just over a week off before opening the regular season against Baylor on November 11. That game, set for a 6 p.m. tip off, will be aired on ESPNU and will also be available on the ESPN app and through WatchESPN.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.